Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Forum

How many Diaphragm Plications are being done a year in the USA?

Today is 04/07/2012, I had a Diaphragm Plication done on 02/16/2012 and got my life back!  OMG a new me!  I do not use my cane, I walk on a treadmill (for 2 weeks now) 5 times a week and up to 4 miles @ 2.7 MPH.  When I started I could only do a 1/2 mile after surgery. Yep I have my life back now!  Feels darn good to breath!

ONLY one question I have, How many Diaphragm Plications are being done a year in the USA?

Good Luck!!!
Alan Mart Store  my Web site
Among thoracic surgical procedures, plication of the diaphragm is not rare.  I was able to find numerous reports of series in the 20-30 range, some with long term follow-up.  With a proper candidate (for this procedure) and a proper selection process, there are many reports of outcomes similar to yours, 5-10 years after surgery.

The key for a patient contemplating this procedure is to first have an evaluation by a (non-surgical) pulmonary specialist to confirm that the indication criteria for this procedure having been met the likelihood of a good outcome is high.  Second, I would seek consultation with a surgeon who has had experience with the procedure and data showing good outcomes.

I am delighted to hear of your good fortune, with this surgery.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?