Breathing Problems After a Coughing episode.

Hi Everyone, I am so happy to have found this site. I started off with a cold and like a coughing virus. I was tested for every virus the doctor could think of and it came back with nothing wrong with me. I am over the cold part and feel ok but still have a sniffly nose and a cough. When I cough I too can not breath it is very scary and my poor kids are always saying are you alright mum. I am so worried I will have one of these coughing episodes and won't get my breath back. All of the antibotics I was on did nothing for me and I seem to feel better since being off them. I also tend to get the coughing first thing when I wake up, evening and sometimes around the 3am time too. I had cancer treatment last year and was worried that the radiation had done damage to my windpipe but now reading what other people have said I feel it is not from that. I know exactly how you are all feeling and I hope soon one of us will know what to do to fix it.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. You know, I like my present doctor but sometimes some doctors are in a hurry or have things going on in their lives too, so they might miss something or think of the complicated. I had a cold 2 yrs ago that went on and got worse, coughing worse. I went in, got antibiotics, worked, after they were gone, it came back. Did this x3. Last time then PA told me I had COPD. I couldn't walk the walkway w/o stopping to gasp. She measured my oxy. and then gave me Advair and told me to get a handicap sticker form. So, I left, stopping several times on the way to my car about 30 ft away for coughing and breath. Two days later, I was weaker, cough was harder. I called an ER dr.who suggested going to ER. I was admitted and in for three days with continuous treatments. Had pneumonia & pleurisy. Put on oxygen, nebulizer & resp. treatments. so, I learned to trust my instincts more than the dr or the pa anyway. Did you get an xray of your lungs? Sometimes I wonder if the xrays (I've had toooo many) aren't part of the problem. God bless.
Helpful - 0
Hi yes my doctor gave me an x-ray(I too have had too many) and I had nothing have been tested for ever virus and all came back with nothing wrong with me. I feel fine just have a coughing fit and just can not get my breath so scared to cough but sometime I just can't help it. My husband is up me about going back to the doctor but I am so over going to them. I might have a read of everyone elses comments and see what they have to say. Thanks for your comment.
Helpful - 0
Just thought I would let you know that I have been using my puffer religiously and it has worked with opening up my airway and stopping me from gasping for air. That was the whole problem.
Helpful - 0
Have you considered GERD?  You don't have to have 'heartburn' to have GERD....and the acid can hit your vocal cords and precipitate horrendous coughing.  You could do a trial of OTC PPI and see how you do.  Just a thought......and GERD is very common in COPD patients.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.