Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

The doctor will ask you many questions about the pain, such as where it is located, how long it has been there, and how you've tried to make it better. The doctor will also ask about your personal habits, especially smoking, including the use of tobacco and street drugs such as marijuana and cocaine. Do not hide any information from the doctor. Anything you say will be just between the two of you, and you won't get in trouble with the law.The doctor will perform a complete physical examination and may do a number of tests to exclude other conditions such as pericarditis, heart failure, and other pleural disorders such as pneumothorax (air leaking into the pleural space), pleural effusion (excess fluid around the lung in the pleural space), hemothorax (blood in the pleural cavity), and empyema (pus in the pleural space).A doctor or nurse will check your blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, and the oxygen saturation of your blood.The doctor will look at your skin for rashes or bruises. Infections of the skin such as shingles can cause chest pain, as can bruises.The doctor may press on your chest. If you have pain that the doctor can duplicate, especially in front where the ribs come together on the breast bone, you may have costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage of the chest.The doctor will listen closely with a stethoscope to your lungs. By listening, the doctor can sometimes tell whether you have other diseases of the lungs, such as asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, or a collapsed lung (pneumothorax). Some people with pleurisy develop a rubbing sound (called a   pleurisy friction rub) that is heard over the area that hurts. The doctor will also listen to your heart's rate and rhythm and determine whether you have any murmurs or extra heart sounds that may indicate a defect in or injury to the heart.You may need a   chest X-ray.The doctor may order electrocardiogram (ECG).  Medical professionals may perform some blood tests and send some of your blood to the lab for analysis to help rule out other causes of chest pain.
I currently have pleurisy. It started with a sinus infection and earache and progressed to the chest and back pain with breathing. I have had it about four times in the past 10 years, so I knew what it was. Went to the doctor on Monday and she prescribed an antibiotic and an inhaler. I am taking that and using the inhaler 2x/day plus the heating pad. Hopefully everything will clear up within the next 10 days.
Like all of the stories I've read I too am experiencing sharp stabbing pains when I breathe and feel it in my shoulder. It really hurts! I've had pleurisy every winter for the past 10 yrs. I go to the clinic where it's documented and begin to explain I know for a fact I have pleurisy I know what it feels like. The doctor gives me Tylenol and sends me on my way. I'm so pissed off and in pain. I'm a nursing student so it ticks me off more to know doctors are treating people like this. I hope I never work with him! FYI been reading up on pleurisy says that you may have an underlying disease that causes pleurisy to re-occur such has diabetes, lupus heart disease.  I urge u people to stay on top of these uneducated doctors and take care I feel your pain.
It was last week - on Thursday I was constantly feeling tired. Then gradually I developed pain somewhere in my left rib cage - not knowing precisely from where. This grew into an excruciating pain under my shoulder blade and back. Two days later- after painful nights with fever and chills- the family doctor diagnosed pleurisy. I was given antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine. The day after, although I had no cold- running nose or anything - I started coughing slightly. Then came the sputum with blood stains. I had pneumonia back in end 2008. 2009 had been fairly good, although with slight cough. The harsh thing is that my mother says it leaves your lungs fragile and pleurisy is dormant- it may come back anytime.
I'm 40, perfectly fit and healthy, no chronic illnesses, no medications I take regularly. Yesterday, after getting my kids off to daycare/school, I felt back pain between my shoulder blades - dull, like I'd been punched. It got slightly worse at work, and then hurt under my breastbone. I started having trouble breathing, so my school nurse called an ambulance. Seven hours in the ER, after EKG etc to rule out heart attack, blood work and chest X-rays. I had a chest CT scan to check for a blood clot in the lung, they diagnosed pleurisy. I have never even heard of that before! I'd had a head cold about 2 weeks ago, but was feeling better, but no other symptoms. This was a scary experience!
I am a 30 year old male, smoke a lot (mostly joints) and had similar symptoms and thought it was the flu, then heartburn, indigestion, palpitations and figured I need some TLC and kept on going on with my normal life. It was hell though-anxiety, stress, dizziness I couldn't keep my posture straight and finally after 3 months went to the doc and 1 of my lungs was flat and there was hardcore pleural efficacy. Bottom-line still suffering from it (6 months) and is become part of life now. Even having sex has made me feel inadequate cause of the damn breathing issue's. Please don't take this lightly get medical advice ASAP. On a positive side am taking some homeopathic medicine and feel better in the last week or so Also a vacation to a sunny warm place does wonders!
I was having a little pain & discomfort while taking deep breaths, the next day I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a car! My upper back and chest ached and produced a sharp pain when taking a deep breath, coughing, sneezing, or even just moving. I also had chills. Finally decided to go to the ER, I had an EKG, X-ray, and blood work done, to rule out pneumonia or any other infection. Turns out it was a virus in my left lung...pleurisy.  I had never heard of this condition before, but it is very painful!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.