Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community

How was your pleurisy treated?

When you have been diagnosed with pleurisy (pleuritis) and more serious causes of chest pain have been ruled out, you will probably get a prescription for pain medicine.  Medical professionals may prescribe a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen (Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), or naproxen (Naprosyn). You may even receive stronger medicine, such as codeine, or other narcotic pain-reliever drugs,  including hydrocodone (Vicodin) or oxycodone (Percocet). If you have a lot of pleural fluid in your chest, a medical professionals  may need to perform a thoracentesis procedure to drain the fluid. Pleural disease can cause intense discomfort. If your pain is not well controlled, you may develop pneumonia because you can't breathe and cough appropriately. Increasing shortness of breath, coughing up more phlegm, intense shaking chills (called rigors), and high fevers should prompt reevaluation by a doctor. If the pain gets worse in spite of prescribed medication or if your symptoms do not improve after a week, you should get reevaluated by a doctor or other health care professional.
My pleurosis was not treated. I had a CT scan Friday and there it was found out that I have a slight pleurosis. However, my breathing was so bad that even oxygen did not help. I asked for an inhaler and that makes breathing better. I could not breathe and did not know that my back pain up to the neck, headaches, sneezing with green phlegm some time before the CT scan, coughing is not getting better and at times I cough so bad that I cannot get enough air into me.
I suffered with a sharp stabbing pain when breathing, coughing, bending down or lying down, on the right side of my upper chest for 3 days before I finally went to the ER.  After listening to my chest, ECG, running blood tests to rule out a blood clot in my lung, the Dr. diagnosed it as pleurisy. He explained that it was likely viral as I don't have a fever so he prescribed 375 mg of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Tylenol 3 for the pain.  He told me not to go to work for a few days and take it easy.  Let's see hopefully I will be able to get some rest tonight.  This is the worst chest pain I have ever experienced in my life and I was worried that it might have been a mild heart attack!
Many of the comments sound so familiar.  I began to feel pain Monday evening behind my upper right rib cage.  Tuesday morning, I could hardly get up out of bed. Slowly I went to work, but the pain progressed throughout the day.  I couldn't drive very easily either when I had to turn with my right arm.  I didn't want to be overreacting, but made an early morning appointment to see my doctor the next day. The doctor said she thought it was pleurisy, and sent me for X-Ray to rule out fluid in my lungs.  Basically X-ray looked normal, so I've been taking the meds for 3 days and I feel slightly better.  Nights are the worse, and heat helps, but coughing up sputum, or sneezing is still painful, so I press against my ribs when I do so.  I'm researching myself to see how to best care for myself during the process to wait for pain to completely subside.  Laying on the right side where pain is does help to sleep.  I hope I never get this again, but worried that many people have had it multiple times.  Seriously, this pain scared me and was worse than going into labor.
On a routine visit to my doctor, I mentioned that I thought I was developing a case of pleurisy.  I have had it several times before, so I knew the symptoms.  I wanted an early treatment before it became really painful. He admonished me, saying that it was just because of my age, 74, and doing too much yard work causing sore muscles.  Today, 2 days later, his nurse called me and told me to go get blood work done at the hospital as he had scheduled me for an MRI in 2 days.  Kind of raises one's eyebrow doesn't it?  I will get my diagnosis the day after tomorrow.
My pleurisy was treated with a pain ijection and pain pills for the next few days. I was unlucky to be traveling throught Texas at the time, the pain was quit severe in my left chest, body aches that were flu like, dizzy spell, and headaches. The first 2 and a half days I was pretty much down in a hotel bed, it's been a week I still have mild chest pains off and on, constant mild body aches, mild breathing restrictions, and much trouble staying asleep due to pain when I roll onto my left side (where the inflamation is) or onto my back. I suggest sleeping face down so you have less pressure on the inflamed area.
I was given a shot at the dr.'s office for pain and anti inflammatory action. Then I was given a steroid pack that was supposed to help over the long haul. I also had a c-t scan since I have a-flutter and it was not, at that time, regulated. Everything seemed to be fine, but now, two months later, I have the serious pain in my chest from my shoulder blade through to under my right breast along with intense pain in my right shoulder. Now when I call to make an appointment with the doctor he says to go to the er. I didn't because I don't want to have to stay all weekend. I'll go in the morning though if my pain is worse.
I was treated for pleurisy and sinus infection. The doctor prescribed and antibiotic and Prednizone which  worked just fine.
For my pleurosy I was given 500mg of Naproxen and told to follow up with my doctor in 1-2 days.
I am 49 yrs old. I'm in decent health for my age except for smoking. The only daily med I take is for hypothyroidism. I had a sinus infection which led to Bronchitis. After about 3 weeks I had this terrible cough. I was getting concerned especially when the pain in the right rib cage began. I am a smoker so I decided I better go have it checked and the pain was becoming more intense. No X-ray. He just listened to my chest and said it was Pleurisy.
I went to an urgent care when I could hardly breathe. The pain was really bad. The doctor took an X-ray and told me I had pleurisy. He gave me an antibiotic and prednisone. After about four days I was feeling better so I walked my dogs and vacuumed my house. Well Monday morning there it was back again. My doctor had me get another X-ray and that one also indicated pleurisy, but also liquid in the lining and one of my lungs was slightly loosing air. I got a stronger antibiotic and a medicine pack. After about a week it came back again. This time was worse than the second time. I go for another X-ray tomorrow.
Steroids and antibiotics I was given just over a week ago, although breathing and pain much better I have an ongoing dull ache in my left lung area and sometimes it switches to the right side.  It has left me weak and tired and I am getting really fed up with it, wish it would go but fear this will take a while to completely go.
I had pain around my chest and back, on the side and my shoulder increased on breathing, some coughing.Turned out I had multiple blood clots on my lungs and DVT in my left leg from an ongoing sometimes swollen ankle fracture.The pain was pleurisy because of the clots in my lungs. The pain I was unclear about at first was from my lungs. I continue to have pluerisy 3 weeks later. Digesics for pain Warfarin-Coumadin for the clots and DVT..expected for 6months ongoing.
Sharp stabbing pains came all of a sudden with deep breath. Progressively got worse until breathing was difficult. At urgent care they ruled out blood clot with EKG, chest xray! Ct scan. My normal BP is low at 90/60 but this time was 140/?  Hooked me up with fluids and injected two pain meds into IV.  Sent me to ER via ambulance since Dr wanted another test done.   At ER dr diagnosed pleurisy and told me to take 600 mg motrin every 6-8 hrs. Woke up in pain and took motrin and pain subsided. Will see my family dr on Monday.
One week ago I started to have pain in my left chest. Two days later I was in the ER for six hours. Xrays, CatScan and blood work was done. The doctors said I had Pleuritis. I was instructed to take 800MG Ibuprofen every 8 hours for 3-4 days. It has been 4 days now and I am feeling much better. I also took 500MG Neporxin once per day in place of the Ibuprofen.
I had surgery and developed pneumonia. I then developed pleurisy. I went to the ER because the pain was so intense that it would bring me to my knees. I was started on a new antibiotic. Due to the pneumonia, if I don't feel better in five days my doctor will admit me to the hospital.
About a month ago I got a really bad sinus infection and then developed a horrible chesty cough, which I still have. About a week ago I was having a lot of pain over the right side of my ribs beside/under my breast. I assumed I had pulled a muscle from all the coughing or after playing netball. After 5 days the pain has gotten worse, to the point where I can't cough, laugh or sneeze without nearly screaming in pain. Also I have a lot of shortness of breath plus I've still got the cough. I also am in a lot of pain moving or even just driving my car. Went and saw my doctor this morning and he diagnosed me with pleurisy. He has given me antibiotics, steroids and pain killers. Fingers crossed they work! I find that when I cannot put off coughing any longer, pressing on the part that hurts helps. I'm not sure that it does anything pain wise but it makes it feel like my ribs aren't going to crack open and my lungs fall out of my chest!
I woke up one morning with bad back ache this progressed to middle back,chest and out of breathe walking up stairs, so went to gp she diagnosed kidney stones, the short of it was they treated me for kidney stones for 4 months ignoring my pleas for chest xrays as my left ribs where agony 24-7,hospital eventually said they did not know and sent me back to gp immediatly sent me to diff hospital for chest xray within 2 hours i was back in gps office and stayed on antibiotics for 5 weeks it took so long and has caused so much damage keep on at them i know have antibiotics once every 2 months major indigestion and panic/ dizzy spells and i am only just over the year mark of getting this.o
I woke up on Monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10 am. I started to get sharp pains in my back; I knew what it was straight away as I've had pleurisy 3 times already this year. I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so I didn't think anything of it but when this pain hit me I knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as I was in agony, so when I called the doctors again and I spoke to her she said she doesn't know why I've got this as pleurisy does not reoccur.
I woke up on monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10am i started to get sharp pains in my back, i knew what it was straight away as ive had pleurisy 3 times allready this year...I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so i didnt think anything of it but when this oain hit me i knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as i was in agony, so when i called the doctors again and i spoke to her she said she doesnt know why ive got this as pleurisy does nor reaccur....so why have i had it 3 times in 10 months??? A lso can this be caused from being punched in the back? If anyone can answer these questions then i would love to hear the answers
im 28/male and i can honestly blame smoking methamphetamine for my painful pleuricy symptoms.   When im 'high' its not so painful but when i 'comedown' a few days later my right lung hurts so frikken bad! to breath, cough, and rest.     I was going to see a doctor but this website has given me enough info on treatment medications. thanks.     my advice and my statement to the youth out there is.... 'dont smoke meth, kids' it wont get ya strait away, but it will get ya.  I cant wait to get my hands on some painkillers though!
I went to a doc 2wkes ago with trouble breathing was told i had edeema. I was given a duretic. It help a little. I started bad pain in rib-area and chestpain. Went 2 another doc 2day and was told i have pleurisy. I was given a predisone injection. And more predisone and antbiotic and pain meds. Sure hope it works. But doc blames smoking 4 it im not so sure about that
I went to bed on Mon evening with slight bruise like discomfort under the right side of my chest. Then Tuesday morning the pain was along the whole right side of my chest each time I took a deep breath. The pain was like the residual pain one might expect after incurring a large black and blue bruise. I decided to work from home and to make an appointment with my doctor Tuesday. The doctor examined me and basically said that the symptoms pointed to pleurisy. The pain is only accentuated when I breathe heavily but today Wednesday I feel the pain is worse than Tuesday. I am afraid to walk up a hill or stairs in case I become short of breath. I was told to try the anti-inflammatory treatment for 48-72 hours and if this does not work, I am to return and I may be prescribed antibiotics. My chief concern is how I contracted it as I was perfectly healthy in every way before it happened.
I have had pain under my right ribcage for 6 months. My GP examined me, had an dray and informed me there was no disease presence(his nurse communicated this to me on the phone). I saw my cardiologist 2 weeks later, who said it may be an injury to my pleura and to take 800 mg ibuprofen several times per day when I experience pain. I had had 2 AVR's in 2008, from bacterial endocarditis and was concerned about an embolism or other life threatening ailment. Disappointed in the lack of them recommending further diagnostic tests, I contacted the GP who diagnosed my heart valve disease in 2008. He suspected pleurisy and ordered up a CT scan to observe the chest areas to better diagnose. That CT is tomorrow and I will blog here again, once I learn the outcome. In the meantime, I will continue to take the Ibuprofen and hope for the best.
I have been in terrible pain every night. Thought I was having a slight heart attack, doctor said it was pleurisy. He told me it would clear up but its been 3 weeks and I have taken all the meds he proscribed and im still screaming every night in pain! Any advice?
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.