Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community

What was the treatment for your collapsed lung?

Easing SymptomsA simple pneumothorax can be eased by holding a soft pillow against the chest wall if the collapsed lung occurs because of a fractured rib from blunt trauma. This splints the fracture and lessens the pain of each breath. Do not tape the ribs or chest wall as this can impair breathing and worsen the situation.Tension pneumothoraxA tension pneumothorax is treated with emergency removal of air under pressure, by inserting a needle attached to a syringe into the chest cavity. If needle decompression is performed before the person gets to the emergency department, transport to the nearest hospital is necessary.Definitive treatment involves placing a plastic tube ("chest tube") within the chest cavity, through a small incision near the armpit, under suction and water seal. This chest tube may need to stay in place for a few days before it can be removed.Simple pneumothoraxA simple pneumothorax often is treated in a similar fashion to the tension pneumothorax with a chest tube and admission to the hospital.If the simple pneumothorax is small, and not expanding, the doctor may try various inhalation techniques with 100% oxygen to cause spontaneous re-expansion of the collapsed lung segment.A small catheter can be placed in the chest and the air removed via suction techniques with a syringe and a 3-way stopcock.After multiple collapsed lungs or persistent collapse, chemical or surgical adhesion of the lung to the chest wall (called pleurodesis) may be necessary and is performed by a pulmonary or surgical specialist.Follow-up after a collapsed lung consists of an outpatient physical examination by your doctor and repeat X-rays in the short term. Recovery from a collapsed lung generally takes about one to two weeks. Most people can return to full activity upon clearance by the doctor.
I had a bilateral lung transplant 5 years ago. Because I am going through chronic rejection I had a lung biopsy which ended in a collapsed lung. After all this time things are starting to happen which I never thought would.
My left lung collapsed twice due to COPD and after the second time I had the treatment of talcum powder blown into the small space between my lung and chest wall. That was 5 weeks ago and I still have pains on that side which the doctors tell me is the talcum powder doing its work. Hope it finishes soon where I can sit up for a couple of hours anyway.
I am a 65 year old female with COPD. I was doing fine and could breathe just fine. I ended up with a cold. I went to the doctor, he gave me medicines and sent me home. One week later I was still sick. I was admitted to the hospital on August 18th 2017. My lungs collapsed, I had a serious infection and pneumonia. I was taken to the operating room and had 3 chest tubes put in [both lungs collapsed], then I was in the ICU for 7 days. I am thankful to have been saved from the death I almost experienced. After 8 weeks [7 of those weeks were on complete bed rest and in Isolation] in the hospital and 20 days in rehabilitation I am finally home and getting stronger every day.
A tube has been placed between my rib wall and right lung. Some fluid and air are coming out in an attached bag. Today is the sixth day since my lung collapsed. I am not sure how long it will take to remove the pipe. The fluid coming out should stop, or the air bubble should vanish. I still have some cough. I hope the ruptured lung will heal even after some cough jerks.
I have a collapsed lung and diaphragm. I have had many tests and am waiting to see a surgeon about what the outcome is and if there is possibility of an operation.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.