Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

A collapsed lung feels like a sharp, stabbing chest pain that worsens on breathing or with deep inspiration. This is referred to as "pleuritic" because it comes from irritation of nerve endings in the pleura (inner lining of the rib wall). Interestingly, the lung tissue itself does not contain pain-sensing nerve endings.Pain often radiates to the shoulder and or back.A dry, hacking cough may occur because of irritation of the diaphragm.If a tension pneumothorax is present, signs of cardiovascular collapse and shock will occur. This is immediately life threatening. The large veins in the neck may stick out, or the skin may be a bluish color because of lack of oxygen (called cyanosis). The pulse may be rapid and the blood pressure decreased. The person appears quite anxious and may have difficulty speaking. If untreated for more than several minutes, loss of consciousness, shock, and death occur.
NOW 55 YEARS OLD, WAS AT A SHOPPING MAIL AT THE AGE OF 15 AND STARTED WITH CHEST PAIN, NO DIFFICULY BREATING, MOM BROUGHT ME TO ER AND X-RAY CONFIRMED COLLASPED LUNG, CHEST TUBE X 1 WEEK, RETURNED HOME AND COLLASPED AGAIN 6 MONTHS LATER AND CHEST TUBE INSERTED AGAIN, AND 6 MONTHS LATER COLLASPED AGAIN AND THEN REQUIRED SURGERY TO REMOVE TOP LOBE OF RIGHT LUNG.  HAPPY TO SAY I AM HEALTLY AND FINE, BUT RECENTLY DX WITH SJOGRENS DISEASE(CAN IT BE RELATED).
I woke up one morning and had what felt like a broken back. I called my sister to take me to hospital. It only took five minutes for the nurse to listen to my lungs and then the blue light went flashing and nurses rushed me into a room and told me my right lung collapsed. I had a tube inserted, which was very painful. Five days later, I was released. Six months later, I had the same thing.
I had very bad pain. It was very hard to breathe. I thought I was having a heart attack, so I called the ambulance. As it turns out, it was my left lung that had collapsed. I had three chest tubes to drain infection from around the lung.
I have smoked for 25 years and also have been in the auto body field for the same amount of time. I was recently diagnosed with COPD. About a month ago I suffered a 100% collapse of my left lung. It was very painful. I was fine one minute, then the next I thought I was having a massive heart attack. The doctors inserted a chest tube and then had to perform surgery which included trimming the top lobe and stapling my lung back together. After all that my lung still wouldn't inflate until they vacuumed all the phlegm out. Needless to say I since have quit smoking and I am not sure if it's a good idea to return to auto body work. I'm glad to be alive and I'm still recovering.
I had an operation and my right bottom lung collapsed. I was given a gadget for breathing exercises. It's been a couple of months and I can still feel pain when I take a deep breath.
I am 46, female, and had a spontaneous pneumothorax out if the blue. I wouldn't say I had pain. I just couldn't catch my breath. I was a smoker and had a chest drain inserted and was in hospital for seven days. I live with the fear that this is going to stop me from get back to work, or doing things alone like shopping trips.
I had spontaneous pneumothorax that had collapsed my right lung 50 percent. I felt no pain at any point. I did however feel a lot of pressure in my chest which I thought was related to the cold I was getting over. I also had a hard time getting a full breath and when I lay on my right side it became even harder to breathe. When admitted to the emergency room they inserted a tube into my chest to suck the air out and re-inflate my lung. I'm not a smoker and the doctor said it was caused by a burst bleb on my lung.
I have a right shoulder pain, but no chest pain. I am wondering if that is also a pneumothorax.
I was heading to the store with friends when I got a really bad achy feeling in my lower back on my left side. The pain quickly grew from my back up to my shoulder and onto my chest, all on the left side. So my friends took me to the hospital where after a few hours I was told my left lung collapsed. I went in for surgery right away for a drainage tube and was released 4 days later after it re-inflated.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.