Chronic Pain Forum

Abdominal Pain

My boyfriend has had this right lower quadrent abdominal pain on and off for the past 3 weeks.  It seems to happen more when he is in the sitting position.  He rates it from a severe ache to stabbing pain. He doesn't relate it to eating or excercise.  Unfortunately he doesn't have health insurace at the moment.  Any ideas of what it could be???
Unfortunately your boyfriend is in the position of many Americans right now-- choosing between finances and health care.  Be aware that sometimes people wait too long, and a simple problem becomes a more costly one.  I'm not saying he needs to run to a doctor, but if he continues to have problems that should be considered.

It would require an exam to determine what is going on with your BF.  The pain could be from a pulled muscle or from a hernia;  in line with the first paragraph, a hernia can be a 'benign' medical condition that can become a life-threatening emergency if it becomes 'incarcerated'--i.e. bowel becomes trapped and the blood supply pinched off.

Other considerations include appendicitis or diverticulitis-- unlikely given the lack of fever, nausea, or diarrhea, but again, nothing can really be ruled out without an examination.  So many things can cause abdominal pain-- bowel obstruction, kidney stones... even disc herniation can cause abdominal pain if it is a certain location.

I wish I could be of more help; I can't even say with certainty that he should see a doctor or should wait.  In general, I would recommend seeing a doctor if such a condition interferes with function, if it continues for a long period of time, or if 'constitutional symptoms' appear-- like fever, nausea and vomiting, or diarrhea.  

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches