Fibroscan results. -what is normal?
Looking for the ranges and info on fibroscan results...
1. What does median shear wave speed mean? And what is the normal range? Mine was 1.98 meters/second
2. What are the normal ranges or median liver stiffness? My score 11.8kpa
3. What is IQR?  Result was 9%

Impression was f2-f3 moderate bridging fibrosis

How accurate is this test?
In 2014 the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases endorsed FibroScan technology. Devices using vibration controlled transient elastography (VCTE).

Fibroscan results range from 2.5 kPa to 75 kPa. Between 90–95% of healthy people without liver disease will have a liver scarring measurement less then 7.0 kPa (median is 5.3 kPa).

The rating of degree of disease is dependent upon the cause of the liver disease. So the amount of liver disease is different for example for someone with liver disease caused by hepatitis than for a person with Fatty Liver Disease for example. There is no listing for Celiac Disease that I know of so I don't know what scale they would use.
Using TE (Transient elastography) to assess liver fibrosis has been widely validated in different liver diseases, including chronic hepatitis C, chronic hepatitis B, co-infection with HIV, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD),, alcoholic liver disease, primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and in the post-liver transplantation setting.

A person with chronic hepatitis C and a liver stiffness more then 14 kPa has approximately a 90% probability of having cirrhosis, while patients with liver stiffness more then 7 kPa have around an 85% probability of at least significant fibrosis.

Research has shown Fibroscan accuracy in assessing lower degrees of liver fibrosis (F1-F2) is not as reliable compared to diagnosing advanced fibrosis and cirrhosis (F3/F4). .
A liver biopsy would be more accurate.

I hope this helps.
Hector
I have just been told that my Kpa is 75. This seems too high.  Is 75 common in cirrhosis?
HI. unfortunately hector passed away last year I believe.

75kpa is the highest  the Fibroscan machine goes, so im sorry to say that its highly likely that you have very serious liver scarring.

I do know of another poster on another message board that had 75kpa.  His liver numbers are stable and seems ok in himself at the moment.  he is only in his 30s and will need a transplant to survive to a normal life span. But the immediate concern is how the Liver is actually functioning rather than how much scarring you can find.
HI

below 7kpa is where you want to be on a Fibroscan.  Most are around 4-5kpa, mine was 4.2kpa, if you were heading towards 7 it would be time to make some changes or further testing.  infact over 7kpa would mean a biopsy is valid to get an even better idea of what is happening because the doctor will have the actual liver cells to examine. The IQR is the spread of the 10 readings, so your readings are very close together which adds more to their accuracy.

The Fibroscan in some cases is preferred to the biopsy because it has a larger sample area of 1/500th of the Liver where a biopsy is 1/50000th and the chances of a false negative are pretty high at 20-30%. Most doctors will want several scans and bloods to build a full picture of what is going on and decide how to move forward.

11.8kpa is unfortunately highly indicative of some scarring of the Liver, but try not to panic just yet, when your read about the Ascites and bleed outs these people are upwards of 40kpa usually. infact there are growing studies trying to show the relationship between stiffness readings and complications.
Hi if it helps 2 years ago I spent 10 weeks in hospital, I wasn't expected to last the first night, I was bleeding heavily from back passage whole body swollen from the water, basically drowning in my own fluid, well I havnt drunk a drop since bloods are pretty good fibroscan measured 46.4 but I'm here and luvs a relatively normal life xx
Excuse the spelling keypad sticking xxxx
Simple surface tension/shear stress measurements are very susceptible to the underlying fibrosis and inflammation patterns, especially lower level test pressures. The etiology of the disease will have a pronounced impact on the various cutoff levels, as Hector mentioned. A liver biopsy is the best solution.

the biopsy may be taken from a healthier part of the liver, if I had a Fibroscan of 20kpa and clear biopsy, I think there is a good chance the biopsy was taken from a good patch of the liver and thus incorrect.

I have also followed some Hep-c patients and some were given the wrong treatment plan because of the biopsy, a later Fibroscan showed more damage than they thought.

The biopsy is still considered the gold standard, but it more of a flawed gold standard I think.
Hello I ad fibroscan where stiffness range was 46.4 just said cirrhosis and consultant will send for me bearing in mind I spent 10 weeks in hospital last year fighting for life I have been abstinent for just over a year health is t the best but I make do anyone AV any feedback on the 46.4 what this means for me please
Hi.  You have confirmed Cirrhosis, its now more important to worry about how the Liver is functioning rather than how much scarring there is.  46 is pretty high, the machine goes up to 75kpa.

The MELD score of your Liver is the one that you should be watching.

You have stopped the booze so your Firboscan should come down a little if you keep clean.  You will always have Cirrhosis, but you can have many years ahead if you can keep your MELD down
Biopsys are invasive and carry a risk of damage and even death. I was unlucky, I cannot recommend the procedure, the consequences outweigh the benefits by a massive margin. Picture yourself in hospital for nearly 5 weeks, massive blood loss from both ends. Extraordinary pain does not begin to describe the aweful reality I experienced. Don't go there!