Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
699 Members

How long does my father in law have..?

He is 63 years old and has been an alcoholic his whole life. He went into the hospital May 22nd. Two weeks prior he had quit drinking, and started having trouble using the bathroom and walking. Months before that he started lost his appetite. He found out he had acities, and they drained several gallons of fluid from his abdomen during his three day stay. They did an ultrasound and told him that he had mild cirrhosis, but that the liver could still come back. They set him up with a liver specialist, medication, and sodium free diet. He also has to go back in every few days to have fluid drained. Yesterday he went to see the liver specialist who told him that the cirrhosis is worse than they originally thought. They told him that he is going to die.

My fiancé and I are getting married on June 26th, and our biggest fear is him dying and not being able to see us get married. It means everything to my fiancé that he is there for our wedding. I'm afraid of him dying within the next few weeks, and my fiancé and I being too devastated to be happy on what's supposed to be our happiest day.

Is he really going to die? Any advice? What the doctor said has us all very scared...
"The doctor was rude, and didn't seem to care. She yelled at him and told him he was going to die."

No one should have to put up with this kind of treatment especially when they have a very serious illness. Is this liver specialist associated with a transplant center? If not, then I would suggest he make an appointment with a hepatologist, preferably at a teaching medical center that has a liver transplant center. If so, then seek out another doctor. All doctors are NOT created equal.

Being an alcoholic, it would take six months of sobriety to be considered for a transplant. However, these doctors are the best in the field and will know how to best treat him and hopefully prolong his life.

The worse thing for you and for him is to lose hope. Never let anyone do that to you. Try to think positive and seek out the best medical advice and treatment you can for him.

I wish you all the best at this very difficult time.

Nan
We don't know a whole lot about this, or what to expect. The doctor was rude, and didn't seem to care. She yelled at him and told him he was going to die. We haven't had anything explained to us. I've been doing research online, and everything I've read has been extremely depressing, and has taken away any hope I had. Please help, anyone that can tell me anything! I love this man very much. He is a beautiful soul and I want him there on our special day more then anything! I'm so stressed and afraid...
Thank you so much for the encouraging kind words. We set up an appointment at the Mayo client next week. Hopefully they're more positive and helpful! Praying for better news..
Wonderful news!! Nan is always such a great help on the forums, especially the liver forum  with all she's been through.

Mayo is a fantastic choice! Hoping and praying he can still get help and they can stabilize him for your big day. Don't give up, your a good person to do this shortcake! I know your very busy but try to update if you get a chance!

Wishing you the best!
I'm so happy to hear he has an appt. at he Mayo Clinic. I wish you all the best. Please let us know how he is doing. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Praying it will be especially joyous for you all.

Nan
Thank you so much for your very kind words. I truly hope that sharing our experience has been  and will continue to be a help to others. I know first hand how scary this can be for the patient as well as the caregivers.

Nan