Advice on night time cough

Usually, around this time of the year, my daughter gets a big infection with fever for at least 2 days followed by dry cough which goes on for weeks. Last year this happened, the doctor recommended Singular (in addition to cough syrups). But that gave her ear infection within a week and Singular was discontinued. The antibiotics for the ear infection prolonged the cough for weeks. All I'd for Mucinex for her since the doctor prescribed de-congestents (Bromfed) were making her depressed and sleepy and weren't fit for school days.

It's happened again this year. The night time cough is on. (We've tried Wal-zyr and Delsym combination at night to help her get some sleep. I even got a different brand of humidifier today and our heat is off.)

What can we do for her? This night time cough affects her sleep, in turn her schooling and overall quality of life thro' out winter. Please - any advice might help.

Thank you.
You havent said how old she is ..I had a bad cough recently and in fact got the flu, they gave me codeine cough med which worked like a charm and cleared the cough up.I am uncertain of the age they give it but you may want to ask .
She is almost 8.
Your daughter is old enough to get a cough med so I would ask the Doctor for some .