Cold & Flu Community

Can the flu enlarge your spleen?

I had fever (101) , body aches, and congestion and I assumed it was the flu.

However, now I feel a slight bulge on my left side right below the ribcage and I read that this means enlarged spleen. Could this be caused by flu? Is an enlarged spleen common? Is it usually something serious?
Sorry you aren't feeling well.  Well, if you think about all the spleen does, it would make sense that it is active during any type of response where white blood cells are being made.  Infections are more common.  I didn't find anything directly related to flu but more things like mono or true infections.  The enlarged spleen means it is doing it's job and has worked hard.  If it doesn't go down in size, then definitely schedule an appointment with your doctor to diagnose why it's enlarged.  Let us know how you are doing.
Not a medical professional, but enlarged spleen is very common in mono. Might want to consider the possibility.
Source: currently have mono, have an enlarged spleen
Could be. But since I receive subpar medical care at the VA I will never know. They just said it’s water. Water? Are they plumbers or doctors wtf.
I think what is important to remember is that an enlarged spleen is a common reaction to some illnesses. It often will enlarge as it is doing it's job.   Mono is that kind of illness in which there is a lot of grey area and the diagnosis is always a bit tricky, at the VA or otherwise.  And secondary infections after flu are common.  That stinks though that you do not trust the medical care there.  Any options in terms of who you see there or getting care outside the va?