Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cold and Flu Community
1.91k Members

Lump in neck

Hello. Both my children and my mother have all been sick the last couple of weeks with the common cold virus. Their symptoms included sneezing, sore throat, coughing and body aches. I have none of these symptoms.

For the last 3 days, I have experienced a sore and swollen neck, NOT throat. The pain is localized to one particular area which is painfully sore to touch, which is by the round  lump...I believe is comparable to the Adam's Apple; however, I'm female. I am running a low grade fever of 100.5 and have no other symptoms.

Is this the begining of a cold? Or should I be tested or observed futher by an MD?

Thanks for your help in advance!
1 Responses
That lump you have is where the lymph nodes are, which will swell and be painful if you're fighting off infection.  Your fever suggests that, too.  So, I think it's a good thing that your immune system is perhaps working well enough to fight off your family's cold.  
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
80052 tn?1550346932
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.