Cold and Flu Community

Swollen Lymph nodes

It would be great if someone could answer my question re. swollen lymph nodes because I have had  my throat swollen for more than 5 weeks now, although it was calmed down for a bit in that 5 weeks but its got very sore again. Im very worried that it is something serious because i put myself into the firing line when i was drunk 6 weeks ago and had unprotected sex with a sex worker. Im going to have a hiv test next week when i have the money and when the test will be reliable. Is it possible for a person to have a throat infection for such a long time? I'v not had any sensations in any other lymph nodes or i cant physically feel the swelling but i dont know would i be able to anyway when its in my throat. but i have a very sore throat and it hurts when i swallow. where i live has just entered the cold season so its the time for chills- i pray to god this is a cold but am I kidding myself? i did have a fairly severe flu bout about 4-5 weeks ago. the more i think of it the more convinced i have hiv......any help /advice would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance for any  
you need to see if you got mono because thats what it sounds like. so get that check
mono is possible, but so is many other possibilities.  You need to be seen by a physician since it's been so long.  5 weeks is too long.  HIV is less likely than other reasons.  Your county health clinic may be able to provide a less costly HIV test.  And it's anonymous.  And you can see a doctor there.
thanks very much for yr replies im going to go for a hiv test tomorrow because i am a bundle of nerves at the minute i think i better do it now....i had convinced myself in this last week or two that could be ok was still going to go for the hiv test next week but i was more at ease but now the sore throat has come back with a vengeance and without many of the cold/flu symptoms that were present when it was last so sore a few weeks ago and im completely paranoid that its hiv it seems to all point to it....thanks again
tomorrow, next week, doesn't make a big difference.

if the sore throat's back, it's more important to see your doc rather than the HIV test, that's unlikely to be a reason for your symptoms.