Cold and Flu Community

What treatments and medications helped to alleviate your flu symptoms?

Treatments for flu (influenza) include home remedies such as resting in bed, avoiding physical exertion, and avoiding alcohol and tobacco use.Hydration is important, and over-the-counter (OTC) fever-reducing medication such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil), and naproxen (Aleve) can relieve minor aches and pains.Avoid spreading germs and the flu virus by washing hands often or using alcohol-based hand sanitizers.Stay away from others until you are fever free for 24 hours.Cover sneezes or coughs with the inside of your elbow, or use a tissue and throw it away promptly.Medical treatment for the flu may include medications (antiviral drugs) prescribed to decrease the severity and duration of the infection, as well as reduce shedding of virus. Physicians may recommend these for those at highest risk for flu-related complications or their caregivers. In special cases (see "Flu Chemoprophylaxis"), antivirals may be prescribed in addition to or instead of influenza vaccine as a preventive treatment (prophylaxis) during flu season. These drugs include the class known as neuraminidase inhibitors and the newer class, polymerase acidic (PA) endonuclease inhibitors.Antibiotics do not treat viruses like colds or influenza, and they do not prevent bacterial infections that may occur because of the flu. To avoid resistance to antibiotics, medical professionals only prescribe antibiotics when there is evidence of a bacterial infection, such as pneumonia.
My flu is going on 4 days now. No relief, severe muscle aches, heavy chest congestion, and difficulty getting up. I am using Sudafed.
I'm using 12 hour Claritin for the sinus congestion, DayQuil and NyQuil for the chest congestion and body aches, and a diffuser with eucalyptus and peppermint oil drops at night. I am getting a lot of rest and fluids. I did have the flu vaccine.
I found nothing much alleviated my flu symptoms. I have had this for over a week. It began actually 2 weeks ago. I felt slightly lightheaded, took the day off and went back to work. By Thursday, I left early sick and went to the doctor on Friday. I had blister pack, Tamiflu and antibiotic. Nothing except maybe blister pack alleviated symptoms and only slightly. I had no fever. Nose and throat first felt like I was in the swimming pulled upside down with water down my nose. By Monday I was coughing and hacking away. By following Thursday my husband was sick too. He won't take anything, afraid it will mess up his prostate as some cold medicines have. I think it is useless to take anything and just let it run. I had flu shot, yes.
I started out going home after work on a Friday with feeling of col and sore throat. I stayed in bed most of the weekend. I went back to work on Monday and by Wednesday was coughing my head literally off. I left work and it has been tougher than I've ever had it in my life; cough so hard and so deep, hoarseness, aching all over, nose drainage, ears popping, very tired and weak. Drink lots of fluids and rest, and yes we had the flu shot in October. This stuff will kill you, no doubt.
So far, I haven't found anything that helps alleviate flu symptoms, and now it's turned into nausea and vomiting, I haven't kept anything down today.
I have been having flu for 5 days including now, and fever for 3 days. After that I started feeling pain in my joints, and at the same time fatigue.
Day one my thigh randomly throbbing. This was my very first flu symptom. By that night random spots on my legs would throb. Day two, I woke up with a headache, and my whole body throbbing on and off. Day three was the same. Day four intense sore throat developed. Temperature went to 100 degrees. Still aching all over my body and had a positive flu test. Today starts day 6, my throat still hurts, and I am still having random aches, although the aches aren't as bad as they were.
This is day 3 of flu. I stopped vomiting, and have a 102 temperature. Tylenol for severe cold helped a little. I'm too weak to walk around. This is really giving me a hard time.