Aa
A
A
A
Close
Colitis Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Campylobacter

I previously posted a question about what moderate chronic non-specific inflammation of the colon meant.  Now I would like to know if campylobacter infection can cause chronic inflammation, because I had bleeding and diarrhea several months prior to the onset of fever and severe abdominal pain.  Now in addition to this I have had arthritis type of pain, but now it is worse.  Could this be reactive arthritis to this infection?  If so, how can I control the pain as it is effecting my feet and making it difficult to walk?  I have been treated for the campylobacter infection but still have 3-5 formed stools a day and occasional bleeding.  The doctor said I had proctitis but this could have been caused by the campylobacter and the only way to know for sure would be to re-endoscope after infection has cleared.  I really do not want to have to do that.  So I would like to know if campylobacter would cause acute or chronic inflammation of the intestine and associated arthritis pain?  He also mentioned microscopic colitis as a cause but seemed to change his mind with regard to that.

Thanks for your help.
1 Responses
Hi,
Campylobacter infection can cause reactive arthritis.
NSAIDs ,steroids  or disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs may be tried to treat reactive arthritis.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem