Colitis Forum

Ischemic Colitis and Diverticular Disease

I am a 55 yr old female, no medications, with a history since 2003 of diverticulitis. I recently developed cramping and bloody mucousy stools. I underwent a colonoscopy 2 days ago, and was diagnosed with ischemic colitis.  I was wondering if there was any connection between the diverticular disease and ischemic colitis?

Also, the gastroenterologist has placed me on a low residue diet indefinitely. I am concerned that this may cause me to have diverticular problems.
There is no connection between diverticulitis and ischemic bowel disease.
Low residue should be continued till the symptoms of diverticulitis subside.
I am not currently having a diverticulitis attack. I was diagnosed with ischemic colon and Erythematous mucosa of the sigmoid colon.

My concern is that if I stay on the low residue diet, that it could cause a flare up of diverticulitis.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem