Aa
A
A
A
Close
Colitis Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
459325 tn?1274758674

Pancreatitis

I have been feeling very sick for about 2 months and with my blood tests have recently been given a diagnosis of pancreatitis. About a month ago my ALT and AST were 2-3 x normal and the last few times they have been normal but my lipase has been slightly elevated, usually about 20-30 over the norm. I have gotten extremely nauseous, have horrible indigestion, and got really low blood pressure; I have been on Florinef and it has helped me with the blood pressure and Prilosec is helping me a little with indigestion, but in the last few days I can barely eat. I have already lost weight and am thin as it is. All the dr does is keep repeating the blood tests. I also have chest pains pretty much every day that come and go for the last month. What should the next step be? I have a dr appt on Monday and if all there going to do is another blood test that makes no sense to me b/c I'm in pain and extremely nauseous. Shouldn't they start to do some kind of CT scans or U/S? The first time I went to ER for the pain they did a U/S for gallstones and I didn't have any. What other ways do they have of diagnosing pancreatitis? Also, is it likely I have it if my lipase is not that high?
1 Responses
Hi,
CT scan is the investigation of choice for diagnosing pancreatitis. Moreover lipase though is increased in pancreatitis does not remain persistently high and it returns to baseline level in a couple of days.
So I would suggest that you have CT scan of the abdomen done.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem