This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

UC Maintenance

Hi. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in April and treated with prednisone and colazal.  By Sept. I was diagnosed with a systemic vasculitis.  Again, I was prescribed prednisone to maintain the other issues going on (sinuses, lungs, etc).  I'm not sure if I really have ulcerative colitis, or if the vasculitis caused symptoms mimicking uc.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  My question is ... since I've been on prednisone for so long, I stopped the Colazal and things seem to be maintained.  As I get lower on the prednisone dose (and hopefully taper off), would it be wise to start Colazal again?  If there are no uc symptoms do I need to take anything as a preventative measure?  How often should I see my GI Dr. and/or follow-up colonoscopy even if I'm not having symptoms?  Thank you for your time.
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Avatar universal
Hi renep73,

The treatment of UC depends on -
1. Severity of disease (mild , moderate, severe)
2. Disease distribution ( distal or extensive)
3. Previous treatment ( Response, side effects, compliance to treatment)

The goals of the treatment of UC -
1. To control symptoms
2. To maintain this symptomless state ( maintenance therapy)
3. To maintain good nutrition
4. To prevent disease and treatment related complications
5. To improve the quality of life

As per your statement -
- Your symptoms are controlled

But the remaining four goals are to be acheived  -
1. Start colazal again ( maintenance therapy) - Discuss with your doctor about the dose
2.Discuss about nutrition with your doctor
3. Have periodic follow up for detecting complications of the disease and the drugs. Disease may get worsened and also  there is likelihood of developing colonic cancer. So regular colonoscopy is needed - How often it is needed depends on the severity and duration and other factors. Discuss with your doctor regarding this.
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

Discussion is closed