Colitis Forum

long term hydrocortizone use

A quick medical history for whoever answers this. when i was 17 i was diagnosed with ucerative colitis. by age 19 it got so bad, to save my life, doctors performed emergency operation to remove my colon. since then ive had a j-pouch constructed (small intestine is reworked to make a holding pouch (http://www.jpouch.org/) which is then connected to your anus to restore normal flow)
THE QUESTION: it's been 2 years and i constantly fight hemroids. i try not to strain. what my GI has prescribed is a hydrocortizone supository. works wonders, but he is hesitant to get me on it for long team use. What will it do if i continue? will it negatively affect me? what are the cons?
Hi  C0aster,
Hydrocortsone is a steroid. About 50 % of the drug gets absorbed.
If used for a longer period, it can affect almost all the organs in the body.
1. Heart & blood vessels- Blood clots, irregular heart beats
2. Brain - Seizures
3. Skin - Poor wound healing, bleeding spots
4. Eyes - cataracts, glaucoma
5. Gastrointestinal tract - Peptic ulcer, pancreatitis
6. Decreased calcium, osteoporosis

(List not complete)

But these symptoms are more severe if hydrocortisone is taken as injections. But even with suppositories, significant side effectsd do occur.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D. .
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem