Colon Cancer?

My mom is 63 and within the last couple of months has been having problems in her bowel movements. She bleeds and has occasional mucous secretions from her rectom. Her tummy is really swollen and has gotten worse in the past week. She's very tired and weak and has a hard time sitting down for long periods of time. I took her to the doctor, but they are referring her to a specialist for a CT scan and a colonoscopy. Does this sound like colon cancer? If so, what should I expect? Is there anything else that it could be? I'm really worried about her.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Has she ever had ciolonoscopy before??
If so thta should give some reassurance if it wasn't to long ago.
Please dont worry there are so many GI problems.
I'm sure others will answer, but it can be infection, with the mucous...
I know my mom had the diverticulitis, well one of the 2 they sound the same, one of them would give her in-frequent bouts of mucous!!
Helpful - 0
tell her not to wurry.the docs seem to have done what he can do by revering her for a colonosopy .i am having my procedure wed not looking fowerd to it been in pain for 12 months atleast i will find out whats going on i have wurryed for months and no what damage it can do .
Helpful - 0
Thank you, georgie439 and reidys, for your replies and comforting words. She has never had a colonoscopy before, but I talked to a nurse today and she said that if her stool or the blood became dark then I should take her to the emergency room. The blood coming in her stool is bright red so this is comforting. I have an appointment lined up for her to do the colonoscopy soon.

Her feet are starting to swell, but I'm thinking that it's from the extra weight from her swollen tummy (I hope :\)

reidys, I hope your procedure goes well on Wednesday and that you can soon be pain and worry free. I'll pray for you right now.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Colon Cancer Community

Colon Cancer can affect anyone at any age. Ashley Havlena shares her story.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Read on to find out how a fecal occult blood test saved Keith Friend’s life.
Colon cancer screening tests save lives. Learn how you can reduce your risk for colon cancer.
It’s a fact: You’re never too young for colon cancer. Learn more about the disease.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Amr Radwan shares his story.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Angie shares her family's ongoing struggle with cancer.