mucus, blood and lots of flatulance...

Ok, back in May, my VA doctor prescibed some Methocarbamol, the generic of Robaxin.  I took it for two or three weeks and all but stopped having any bowel movements.  When they did occur, it was very painful and strained.  I talked to my doc and she told me to stop taking them.  I eat about 30 or so grams of fiber every day and am 36yrs old. I am concerned now that it might be the beginings of colon cancer.  Some of the symptoms I am experiencing are:  Change in shape of my bowel movenments, mucus occassionally is in my stool, blood is sometimes in my stool, I will wake up at 5am with gas cramps and have to go to the restroom where the only thing that usually comes out is what appears to be a blood clot with mucus in it sometimes.  I have two to three bowel movements a day and am in relative good health.  I did make a doctor's appt today, but can't get in until next Thursday.  I have been getting pretty anxious about this over the last couple of weeks and was just curious as to whether anyone had any insight into my prob?
Thanks in advance,
b
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for the response.  It does ease my worries quite a bit.  As I stated, I have a doctors appt. on the 16th.
Thanks again,

b
Helpful - 0
Hi.

While cancer should always be on the back of our minds in dealing with these kinds of symptoms, there are other disease conditions that may explain your symptoms.

One is that of malabsorption syndromes such as celiac sprue or tropical sprue, or weakness in the functions of your exocrine pancreas (which secretes digestive enzymes).  Another is that of an Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which is more of a functional bowel problem which does not have a distinct or specific treatment focus (however, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion).

I would suggest that you be referred to a gastroenterologist to have endoscopies done, most probably a colonoscopy to visualize the colon.

Regards.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Colon Cancer Community

Colon Cancer can affect anyone at any age. Ashley Havlena shares her story.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Read on to find out how a fecal occult blood test saved Keith Friend’s life.
Colon cancer screening tests save lives. Learn how you can reduce your risk for colon cancer.
It’s a fact: You’re never too young for colon cancer. Learn more about the disease.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Amr Radwan shares his story.
You're never too young for colon cancer. Angie shares her family's ongoing struggle with cancer.