Complementary Medicine Community
469 Members

GAD-Anxiety

Hi everyone.....what is best herbal medicine for anxiety....please only advise if you have used it....thanks
Herbs are best used in combination, and if you're on medication, that eliminates many.  I've found a compound called Serenity by Gaia to be good, also ignatia amara and gelsemnium homeopathic remedies.  Taurine is also helpful, as it makes GABA in combination with B6.   But the whole package would include 5-HTP and some other stuff.  A good book to read on this is Natural Highs by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA.  And it goes without saying, therapy, a good diet, exercise, and meditation round it out.  And remember, no guarantees, especially with severe anxiety.  
thanks Paxiled....i am suffering from GAD and mild depresseion....what herbs would you suggest me....
Ashwaghanda is good, if taken from a reputable company. I am using some right now, and it really helps.

I also do the deep breathing when I feel it coming up. Mine is from glandular malfunction. Do you know what is causing yours? That helps right there, just knowing.
The Serenity compound is a blend of herbs, and might be helpful.  It might make you a little drowsy.  The homeopathic remedies are also possibly helpful.  But the best way to do this, since it's trial and error for us all, is to see a naturopath, or buy that book I recommended and try something.  And again, I'm assuming you're not on medication.  The herbs that are considered the best of long term balancing are green oats, passionflower, cactus grandiflora.  For short term relief, the best is kava, with valerian second.  The 5-HTP is important, though, because just taking relaxants can increase depression, whereas the 5-HTP will help with both the anxiety and depression if it works.  The taurine is an amino acid, not an herb, and B6 is a vitamin, but they are also important.  But there's a huge number of relaxant herbs out there.  St. John's Wort is also an antidepressant.  There's just so much to choose from, and I can't tell you which or if any will work for you.  It's a process.  Good luck.
Oh, and the ashwagandha was an excellent suggestion.  I'd combine it with eleuthero for better results.  They'll help keep your adrenals from overreacting.  Holy Basil also helps with cortisol production, but as it also reduces blood sugar, it might make you a little drowsy.
I had no idea that 5-HTP was good for GAD.  I've been using it for my fibromyalgia.  So, if it works for both things, it is clearly the right supplement for me to use.
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste