Complementary Medicine Community
469 Members

Iodine

Okay here we go....to Iodine or not to Iodine....lol!  Seriously though......lets discuss Iodine in its glory:
What type is best: potassium iodine only
Where can you find it? This can be a tough one.....
How to test for deficiency... scratch skin test and or hair analysis is best
What are the many many health benefits of Iodine? MANY!
There are soooo many benefits to Iodine.....did you know that if you take Lugols at the first sign of infection it can help to destroy viruses, bacteria, etc.?  How about at the first signs of food poisoning to neutralize toxins?
Lets roll on this one with everyone joining in.

I am really want to know more about iodine,as I am taking it along with Adrenal Support Capsules, and I have to tell you I have felt pretty good for several weeks, I put it down to the Adrenal Capsules but it could be the iodine, I have googled about iodine and realise we dont get enough of it in out diets now, Salt used to have a lot, guess it still does,but they have cut it out in other foods. So Hey I am open to feeling even better....
Some excerpts from "Beating Lyme Disease" by David A. Jernigan, Ph.D. :

"According to a study by the CDC the number of Americans with low iodine has quadrupled in the last 25 years". * (source below)

"Dr. Bernard Jenson, D.C., Ph.D., found that the iodized table salt, which is superheated so that it can pour more easily, is a poor form of iodine for the body."

* Iodine Nutrition in the United States. Trends and Public Health Implications: Iodine Excretion Data from National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys I and III --- The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
I am looking to read some resource information on a few things with iodine.

1 Is iodine needed for people with No thyroids?

2 Best supplementation of iodine to take?

3 Proper administration of iodine

4 Symptoms of low iodine

5 What iodine will restore in the body if taken and how to know if you are managing appropriately with it.

Yes please that the information I need ,
This is the test/treatment listed on Dr. Jernigan's website that I did and it actually WORKED ! I have soft hair now too ! ; ^ )  

********Remember that stopping thyroid medicine all together only applies to those who are hypothyroid due to iodine deficiency and only under drs orders. Talk to your physician before trying ANY iodine supplementation.*************

This simple test is almost too simple, it cost next to nothing and will help you to know when your body is in need of Iodine.

Instructions:

Get a 1 ounce bottle of tincture of 2% Iodine.

Paint a spot using the tincture about the size of a silver dollar. Paint the spot in an inconspicuous place such as your belly, thigh, or the inside of the arm. Be sure it is dry before putting on clothes to prevent staining the clothing. Do this when you know you will not be taking a shower or bath, since it may wash off.

If you body level of Iodine is normal, then the spot will remain on the skin for 24 hours.

If the spot disappears in less than 24 hours, this means your body needed Iodine and took it in. (I find it awesome that our body will take in what it needs and leave on the skin what it doesn't need!) This works transdermally much like the now popular Nicoderm and Estrogen Patches, by soaking into the blood stream via the skin.

*** Important...if you are presently on thyroid medicine you may need to cut back on your dose, or ultimately stop it all together, now that your body has the iodine to manufacture the thyroid hormones it needs.

Keep applying the Tincture of Iodine every 24 hours, at different places on your body, until the spot stays there for the full 24 hours.

http://abc.eznettools.net/jernigannutraceuticals/inexpensive_treatments.html
Thank you Platelet Gal !!!

You're welcome ! I was a little skeptical at first, but it worked. The first time I did the test, the iodine disappeared within 2 hours. This continued for at least 2 more weeks. Last week I did the test again and it took over 12 hours before the iodine disappeared.

PlateletGal (still has soft hair and is no longer spending big money for expensive conditions that don't work ! ; ^ )   )
Wow thank you I will get some to try I have been taking the kelp drop with iodine in it, definatly do the test.
don't just buy any kind of iodine tincture....make sure it is potassium iodine form only!

Platelet Gal- Where did you find yours? I told Stella how hard it is to find the right kind and she found it to be true....unless of course you buy online.

I recommend Lugol's Iodine....it is a trusted brand and my doctor friend uses it himself.
He suggested doing a small scratch test first to make sure no sensitivities are there.
oops --- I wrote conditions... of course I meant to write, "conditioners" in my previous post.

Laura -- I purchased my iodine online. I think I purchased it through Walgreens.
Great thread Laura.

PlateletGal --Thx so much for your info; am dead keen to crack this iodine gig that am sure makes me thryoid right lazy!  

Soooo----is doing this kind of iodine supplementation in place of taking kelp supplements, or is there no harm in taking kelp too?  I have heard that there are quality issues with kelp---and is this a 'potassium' type Laura is saying is best?  Am thinking there could be toxicity with too much iodine in the system?  --  thoughts?  Does anyone know which foods eaten can boost iodine as well?

Margypops ---where did you get Adrenal Support capsules, and what are they composed of?   : )
You don't want to consume too much as you stated. I would first start with a skin test to see how deficient you are. You can Lugol's right on line. I would imagine as almost everything there could be a toxic level....also do you have Hashi's? If so you will want to tread carefully with the use of kelp or iodine.
For the adrenals....i like adaptogens  (will increase when needed and decrease when needed)  
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste