Complementary Medicine Community
470 Members

Vitamin D testing

Vit D, why isn't it a standard test?
Hi, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with NO vitamin D in my system at all even though I had been taking multi vitamins with a total of  over 1000 ui daily of vit D for many years in a tablet form.  The reason for the test:  memory loss, fatigue, speech, swelling, pain, vision, weight gain, numbness, hair falling out, bone loss, etc for over 4 years that no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me & I finally asked for the actual vit D test..
My doctor perscribed a mega dose of gel vit D 50,000 ui daily for 2 weeks and since then I take 8,000 ui daily or I just can't function.
My suggestion to anyone with low vit D, is ask your doctor to level you out to get to a normal level,  You don't want to get to ZERO like me.
The reason is that Vitamin D deficiency is rather new and is rare -- people just don't get enough sun these days.  The most recent tests reduced the recommended supplementation of Vitamin D, it didn't increase it.  This has become a bigger problem than ever suspected because, again, people have been told to stay out of the sun and we live indoor lives that nobody in history lived intentionally before.  

http://drfuhrman.master.com/texis/master/search/?s=SS&q=vitamin+D

You should try for 10-15 minutes a day of being in the sun without sunscreen on!

Many folks don’t get enough vitamin D. It’s important for bone health, hormone production and protection against cancer.
You get vitamin D from the sun and a few foods — mostly deep sea cold water fatty fish.
Unless you live in the Deep South, it’s impossible to get enough vitamin D from sunlight, November through February.

Vitamin D and your bones
Vitamin D improves our absorption of calcium and phosphorous, minerals essential for healthy bones. Low levels of vitamin D result in higher risk of fall and fractures.
Children with low vitamin D develop rickets. This causes bowing of the legs. Adults can develop a similar condition — osteomalacia — where slight bone softening causes a gnawing pain often mistaken for fibromyalgia.

Vitamin D and Cancer
Low vitamin D is associated with increase risk of cancers including colon, breast and prostate. Vitamin D actively inhibits the uncontrolled cell growth typical of cancer in most tissues of the body.
Adequate Vitamin D reduces risk of Type 2 diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Correcting vitamin D can reduce blood pressure.

Testing for vitamin D
Make sure your doctor checks your 25-hydroxy vitamin D. Levels below 20 are deficient, 20 - 30 borderline, and 30- 50 healthy. The best month to test? November. If you’re deficient then, you’ll be severely deficient at the end of winter.

Vitamin D from the sun
10 minutes of direct sun on the face and arms 2 to 3 times a week is adequate, March through October (year round in the Deep South). Even an SPF 8 sun screen, however, will block vitamin D production by 90%. So get some direct sun and wear sun screen the rest of the time.

How much do you take?
Deficient? 50,000 units in a single capsule once a week for eight weeks works well for most. Then 50,000 units once or twice a month. The usual daily recommended amount is 800 to 1200 units. if you’re usiing 400 unit tablets.

What about toxicity?
Most experts agree 5,000 to 10,000 units a day are safe. Toxicity causes absorption of too much calcium resulting in kidney stones, kidney failure and calcification of the arteries. The above recommendation is well within the safe range.

What Foods Have Vitamin D?
FOOD  VITAMIN D (IU)
Halibut (3 oz cooked)    680
Catfish (3 oz cooked)  570
Pink Salmon, canned (1/4 cup)  400
Tuna, canned (1/4 cup)  130
Milk (1 cup)  100
Minute Maid Calcium + Vit D OJ (8 oz)  100

Important: Actual amounts of Vitamin D in some fortified products may be less than claimed.

Source  Dr. Douglass  
I don't think that's true you can't get Vitamin D in winter.  I recently saw a program that traced the migration of humans from Africa, and one belief is that those who migrated north developed an enhanced ability to absorb Vitamin D even with cloud cover.  I know of no evidence of people living in the north having higher rates of bone problems than those in the south.
Well, Paxiled, you can of course get Vitamin D in winter - just a lot less than you can in summer. I think you said above that vitamin D deficiency is rare? I suppose it all depends on what one considers deficiency. If deficiency is the point where death (directly from the deficiency) is likely, then, yes, it's rare. But loads of studies have shown that people in unsunny climes are very much below optimal levels. And since vitamin D is now known (now by the orthodox medical community, about 20 years or more by many outside it) to be very important in the prevention of cancer, supplementation seems like a good idea. Quite apart from the enormous number of other health conditions it influences.

BUT. It appears that you have to take K2 with it, or get enough vitamin K2 from food. If not, supplementing with D, it is said, may even be harmful.

Always use D3, of course, and never D2.
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste