Complementary Medicine Community
469 Members

arthritis treatments

Hi. I have always been physically active and have never been overweight. There is no arthritis in my family and feel that for most of my life have eaten properly. I have arthritis in my hip. Can you tell me what the difference is between taking Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM, and Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother as a treatment, how each one works against arthritis, and which is the best to use, as I've had both work well (esp the ACV), but the MSM is expensive, but the ACV has negative side effects.  Thank you for your time to reply.
Everyone is different, so whatever works best is what works best.  Apple cider vinegar regulates the acid/alkaline balance in the digestive system, and much of what we think we know from it is from a couple of historic figures whose claims can't be even found, yet alone proven, as far as anything else it does.  Glucosamine and chondrointon are actually part of healthy connective tissue, so that's the theory behind taking them.   MSM is actually one of the most inexpensive supplements available, so I wonder where you're buying it.  Most online companies are direct marketing companies that are more Ponzi schemes than supplement companies, but you can get large bottles of it by, say, Jarrow for just a few bucks.  Personally, I wouldn't use apple cider vinegar for long periods of time because of its affect on the digestive system's balance, but others will strongly disagree.  There are a plethora of herbs that have shown antiinflammatory action with arthritis, such as devil's claw, ginger, boswellia, turmeric, proteolytic enzymes, antihistamines such as scuttelaria, freeze dried nettles, bromelain quercitin and Vitamin C combinations, just a very large number of substances in nature that can help with inflammation for some people.  As for eating properly, that's always in question, because what's healthy for one might not be for another.  Any pro-inflammatory food can be a problem, particularly wheat and dairy and sugar or foods that turn into sugar quickly, and nightshades for some people.  Complicated stuff here.
Most people with arthritis have some nutritional deficiencies, including lowered levels of vitamins A, B6, B12, and C. Glucosamine sulfate can help. The proper levels of minerals like magnesium and selenium is also important. Most arthritic patients need detoxification from heavy metals like mercury.
Eliminate refined foods. Eat a whole-food diet including unrefined sugar, salt, oil, and flour, and as much organic produce as possible.
Also, drink enough water. Take your weight (in pounds), and divide by
two. The number is the amount of water, in ounces, you should get daily.

As stated nightshade vegetables include tomatoes, potatoes, peppers
(including paprika, but not black pepper), eggplants, and tobacco.
According to Dr. Childers, nightshade sensitivity isn’t an allergy but actually a progressive loss of the ability to metabolize substances known as “solanine alkaloids,” which are found in all nightshade vegetables.
There’s no test that can tell you if your arthritis will respond
to a nightshade-free diet. It’s strictly a “try it and see” situation.
It’s hard to completely eliminate nightshades.Tomato and potato make their
way into a wide variety of food products, and pepper also.
Check the following https://openlibrary.org/books/OL11511521M/Arthritis-Childers%27_Diet_That_Stops_It!

Eliminate nightshades for at least three to four months and
see if it makes a difference in your symptoms. If you’re not sure after three or four months, you can do a test by eating lots of tomato, potato, and peppers. If the pain comes back you’ll know that you are nightshade-sensitive and you should eliminate those foods from your diet permanently.
Sometimes, osteoarthritis is aggravated by regular food allergies. If you have a personal or family history of allergies, it’s worth having this possibility checked out.
In 1949, William Kaufman, M.D., Ph.D., published his exceptionally careful and comprehensive research about niacinamide and osteoarthritis titled The Common Form of Joint Dysfunction: Its Incidence and Treatment.
Dr.Kaufman’s research came out around the same time that
patented cortisone formulas were being heavily promoted, so niacinamide treatment was hardly noticed. I read 1,000 milligrams of niacinamide three times a day (it doesn’t work as well if you only take it once or twice daily). You’ll probably start feeling results in three to four weeks. Many osteoarthritis sufferers achieve complete relief of pain and swelling as long as they continue on with niacinamide.
Niacinamide doesn’t appear to re-grow cartilage, so it’s best to use
glucosamine along with it.
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste