Comprehensive Dentistry Forum

Bone Graft Failure

I recently had a bone graft procedure (2 upper posterior premolars).
Right after the surgery I have been told that "everything" looked perfect. However, after +24 hours I started to experience unbereable pain on the surgery site.

Few days after the surgery the Doctor saw me again, and they "suppossed" I may be having an alveolitis, which they did not confirm.

On the 7th day postsurgery, I was told that the graft and the membrane were still in place and that I was suffering from a dry socket situation, caused by the lost of the blood clot.
On day 8th after surgery, on another consultation it was determined that the membrane and graft were definitely gone.

I wonder if
a) this could have just happened overnight (taking into account that on day 7th "apparently" everything was OK; and
b) if a preoperative sinusitis -which started a week before surgery and lasted for about another week postsurgery- could have been the leading cause to bone graft failure.
c) since after a previous bone graft procedure I went through the same unbearable pain starting +24 hr postsurgery (the graft was however successfull), I wonder if there a patient could  be prone to suffer a "chronic dry socket" situation and if so, if there are any methods to prevent it.

Many thanks,

Jean Jacques
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.