Comprehensive Dentistry Forum

Deep cleaning

OK - I was at the dentist the other day to get my permanent crown put in and he insisted on doing full x-rays, etc. since I haven't seen a dentist for 20 years.  He said that I needed deep cleaning of my teeth because of gum disease...I don't really know what this is or why it's such a big deal.  Anyway, he said it's done under anesthesia by applying local gel.  My question is - who will do the procedure? a dental hygenist? is it painfull? what can I expect?

Thank you very much!!
Assuming deep cleaning refers to scaling and root planing or non-surgical periodontal debridement, the procedure generally invoves minimal pain. If in doubt, seeing a periodontist is advised.
A related discussion, every thing about dental deep cleaning. was started.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.