Aa
A
A
A
Close
Comprehensive Dentistry Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

abcess tooth

Hello! I am scheduled for a root canal tomorrow. I was supposed to have done last Friday but jaw & tooth still infected. I am on 2nd round of antibiotics to get rid of the infection. Still seems to be tender....like still infected. I am wondering if I should postpone root canal until I finish 2nd round of antibiotics & do next week???? Would like another opinion.
3 Responses
If the source of abscess is associated with dental pulp, root canal treatment can help clear up infection. Further delay of treatment is detrimental.
I ended up having a pulpectomy and am scheduled for root canal. Is it necessary to do root canal or is it possible all infection was removed?

Also, what do you mean by detrimental......to the tooth?

Thank you for the information.
Once the canal is thoroughly debrided and optimally obnturated,the periapical infection tends to go away. If root canal treatment is not intervened , periapical infection may result in cellullitis or other distant organ, which is potentially life-threatening.
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.