Comprehensive Dentistry Forum

lump on lower jaw bone

I went to a dentist in August 2008 because I had intense pain in my jaw which I knew was most likely a tooth causing it although I didn't know which one because the pain was so bad that I could not open my mouth to eat. I would hold my head & cry. I was told by this dentist that it was my wisdom tooth but I knew it wasn't because as the pain started to subside I had a tooth on the left bottom that was super sensitive. I told them this and they decided this tooth had a crack in it which caused the infection. They then decided to go in and clean it out and put a crown on it. They said no rootcanal was needed. Everything was fine for a period of time, I continued taking antibiotics. About a month later there was swelling next to my jaw bone under that tooth and a hard lump which wasn't extremely painful but tender to the touch.  I figured it would go away which it did but has come back bigger than before and very hard like bone. The swelling goes away slowly but the hard part stays there next to my jaw bone.  I am seeing an ear, nose and throat doc. who is requiring a panorex be done so he can see what it looks like. I am currently switching to a new dentist because I am very frustrated with the current one. I am very worried about what could be going and have read about this on the internet and how bad it can be to your overall health. I've never had any dental problems, have always had healthy teeth with no root canals. I just want it to be taken care of but am at a total loss as to what to do.   Anything you could tell me would be appreciated. Thank you so much, Teresa Helms  
Hi Teresa,
This is a very dangerous thing. Unfortunatley, human nature is to HOPE that things will go away. A Panorex is a good thing. I would go to a highly qualified general dentist, and an Oral Surgeon and an Endodontist might be very useful. This is something that you will need to see a good and properly trained dentist and ENT will help but they will not be able to help you with dental issues. Now you know how important the training of a dentist is. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with helping you finding a few dentists who would have the proper training in your area.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.