50% heart function/low oxygen/pe

My 79 year old father has had a heart attack, triple by pass, back in the hospital for fluid and a PE.  We have moved him to rehab due to his weakness.  We have been told he has 50% function, damage to the front of the heart that cannot be repaired and now his oxygen level continues to plunge to 60%.  

He is sometimes confused, and his appetite is not good either.  I personally feel he is giving up.  I do all I can to encourage him but he says he just cannot eat.  During any exercise they usually have to stop due to his oxygen level plunging.   What is the hope of my father getting better, I am sure it is up to the man upstairs, yet medically I need another opinion.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
     Recovery in your father’s case depends upon various factors like nutrition, improvement of weakness of respiratory muscles, absorption of any fluid present in the lungs and prevention of PE. With advancing age, and comorbid conditions like high blood pressure, hyperlipidemia, diabetes etc recovery might take longer, but in this period proper care ensures a healthy recovery.
You can take a nutritionist’s help for his diet plan or if he is not willing you can ask his doctor for intermittent ryle’s tube feeding. Hope this helps. Best.