LVEF 30%
Sir,

My father age 60 years old, he had heart attack 7 years back. Then as per doctors advice in apollo hospital medicated stents fixed in heart. Now he is suffering with water heavily in stomach. Understand from doctor that his heart function showing weak. In his regular check up description written as " Known of HTN with DM with old M.I with post PTCA stent with cardiomyopathy with LV dysfunction with LVEF-30% on regular medication".

Hence please advice me my father overall condition. how i have to take care of my father health.

Kindly help me.Waiting for your advices.

Best Regards
Sainath
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If the ejection fraction (LVEF) is below 35%, it is diagnosed as cardiac failure. The ejection fraction is a useful measure of left ventricular performance. The normal range is 63-77% for males and 55-75% for females. It reflects the pumping capacity of the heart. Due to this the heart is not able to pump adequate blood to different organs in the body. In this process the kidneys too receive inadequate blood and to compensate for this start retaining sodium. When the sodium content in the blood increases it causes fluid to seep out and cause edema.

Treatment for low ejection fraction is focused on reducing symptoms and preventing the progress of the disease involved from worsening. Ejection fraction can be improved by lifestyle changes, medications and procedures, such as the insertion of an implantable defibrillator (ICD) if indicated. Lifestyle changes include limiting physical activity, eating a heart healthy diet, completely avoiding alcohol and/or tobacco use, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and keeping a daily weight diary to keep a tab on weight changes. Medications such as digoxin and beta blockers help to improve the pumping capacity of the heart. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your valuable advices