Congestive Heart Failure Forum

coma stage after cardiac surgery

Hi sir,
My uncle had a surgery to heart valves(shunts were installed) through angiogram and after few days of surgery suffered from severe headache and went into coma.
I merely wants to know the reasons for coma stage after sucessfull cardiac surgey?
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

The possible causes of coma after heart surgery are extensive and can include things that are very serious but also things that are much less serious.

For instance, he could have suffered a stroke which would be quite serious.  Alternatively, he could simply be suffering from the after effects of anesthesia and cardiac surgery which would be generally transiet and should improve.

Unfortunately, I dont think I can provide you much further insight. I encourage you to discuss the details with your uncle's physicians.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Rich
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.