Congestive Heart Failure Community

conflicting cardiac diagnosis

My cardiologist stated the last echo cardiogram showed I had an ejection fraction of 35%. He referred me to a doctor within his practice who specializes in cardiac pacing. He ordered a MUGA scan which reflected a 57% ejection fraction. Great news - right? My original cardiologist doesn't agree with the results of the second scan. I am going to set up a meeting & try to get both of them together. the problem is, who do I believe? Should I take all of my records to a cardiologist outside their practice & have them review the information?

Talk about Conflicted!
WOW!!  I can understand why you're conflicted!  35 to 57 is a considerable difference.  I like the idea of meeting with both doctors to find out why there is such a discrepancy in the results.  I know that echocardiograms are often used for assessing EF, but I came across this article which discusses the use of the MUGA scan for measuring EF...Hope this helps and doesn't make matters more complicated.

Here is an excerp:  "The advantages of the MUGA scan over other techniques (such as the echocardiogram) for measuring the LVEF are twofold. First, the MUGA ejection fraction is highly accurate, probably more accurate than that obtained by any other technique. Second, The MUGA ejection fraction is highly reproducible. That is, if the LVEF measurement is repeated several times, nearly the same answer is always obtained. (With other tests, variations in the measured LVEF are much greater.) These advantages - along with its noninvasive nature - make the MUGA scan ideal for detecting subtle changes in a patient's cardiac function over time."

You can read the entire article by clicking on this link: http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cardiactests/a/muga.htm

Wow!  Thanks for posting this.  The MUGA scan sounds just right.  I would depend on that.
Sounds good for you.  The MUGA scan is the most accurate.  I'm glad you posted this.  Now I will have a MUGA scan.
I thought so too!  Let us know how the scan goes?  Good luck!!
hi my name is vimal, i am 20 years old  healthy male. non smoker, non drinker, It all started with a disturbing pain on left side of my chest.i directly went to er , but in few minutes i started feeling well. It was not a strong pain but since it happened for the first time so i freaked out.Next day , docs conducted Echo test and Angiogrpaphy.
Now reports of Angiography was absolutely normal
And echo report was normal except for mild mr n tr and lveff=49%

But i got really scared after the event,started feeling like a heart patients .This was due to lack of counselling on the part of doctors. The just told me it was due to gas or muscular pain nothing else.Anxiety

i still experience same disturbing pain.

Right under the left nipple , something moved,a bubble forms, pain the armpit as well,,,, n some times stretch upto my right chest,

I started reading things on  the internet, now i also feel irregular beats (i don knw if it is normal or not)... though i never feel like fainting or lightheadedness, i just get freaked out as if i m going 2 have a heartattack.

I again went to a cardiologists, he conducted ecg , reports were normal only showed  rbbb , to my surprise my Echo reports dis time were absoultely normal. no mr ,tr n lvef=75.

I have 3 questions in mind
1)am I really suffering from a heart problem or is it jus anxiety ,or muscular pain. I would also like to mention that my mind is always preoccupied with  this anxiety.
2)I didn't felt strong heatrbeats intially, but now i've statrd feeling them.,is it also due to anxiety?
3)Y does my echo reports in both the case differ, first i was diagones with mild mr/tr second time no mr n tr.?

Please help me,,,i am too much dissappointed with this pain. Please guide me.