Congestive Heart Failure Community

nose problem

A member of our family who is 73 years old has developed a nose like a golf ball. all red and puffy. It is horriable. What can be done to improve this   and is this hereditary. i hate to think my son would get this ,

The condition you are referring to is known as rhinophyma in which the nose becomes enlarged and bulbous and this condition typically occurs in males.

It is not hereditary.

Rhinophyma is a slow growing benign tumor due to hypertrophy of the sebaceous glands (oil producing glands) of the tip of nose often seen in cases of long-standing acne rosacea. It presents as a pink, lobulated mass over the nose with superficial vascular dilation. Treatment consists of cutting down the bulk of the tumor with sharp knife or carbon dioxide laser and the area allowed to re-epithelialise.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. The reason I worry is that this relative's grandfather had exackly the same problem and the same horriable nose.  
Thanks a lot for your kind remarks. Well, I did some more research on the subject and found out that Rhinophyma and Rosacea is more common amongst the family members and it’s also more common amongst western Europeans.
Hence, chances of having this disease within a family are definitely more.
I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind regards.
what part does alcohol play in this condition