Cord Blood Community
67 Members

Cord blood banking?

Anyone planning on banking their cord blood? It doesn't seem to be an issue my OB/GYN has even talked about with me, but I see all the advertisments all over my pregnancy and child mags. I know this topic (stem cell research) is still very experimental but this is my last child and I don't want to miss out on a cutting edge medical miracle which benefits are not yet known. From the very little research I've done, it seems very expensive. Anyones thoughts are very welcome. Thanks ...
The rap on it is the expense and especially the lack of oversight or standards, since it is largely private companies doing it.  There is no proof that enough blood would be saved from a given cord to do any good for a recipient with a disease, and the blood would have to be saved for a number of years before most diseases would appear (that would require the stem cells).  (And by then, who knows what will have happened to the company storing it.)  I looked into it and didn't do it.  There is a public cord-blood bank, you can donate your umbilical cord there in the hope that at least some good would come of it.
It's very expensive! I spoke to my GI DR about it, becouse I need it for my own health problems, he said they will find a match easily when I need it. So, I am going to donate it like I did with my first baby boy.
I did it and I'm very glad I did.  It's very controversial (sp?) but I'd rather do it and not say "I had the chance and never did it".  The thing with public banking is that once you donate it, it's not yours anymore and you have no access to it.  If you have more questions, I could give you the phone number to the lady I spoke to (who was VERY knowlegdable on the subject) and she was NOT pushy at all.  She educated me on the subject and was not trying to sell it to me.  I went with CBR.  Let me know if you need more info.
i agree with annie on this one. unless you have other children who have had something that this child could end up having as well. it is a personal choice, you have to decide what is best for you.
The division of opinion regarging private cord blood banking is very interesting.
I have an information website about umbilical stem cells and banking your baby's cord blood as a preventative measure against future health problems. Please visit www.cordplan.com

I wish i did...thats the first think my sons dr ask ....becuse it would of been a garnte cure...he is doning well now and think god he dident need it...but i know a lot of famileys that do...so if u dont want to bank it then donait it iv seen the dif that it makes to famileys...God Bless
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.