Cord Blood Community
61 Members

Donating

Does it cost just to donate cord blood? I am a new mommy to be and this is something I am interested in doing. I don't want to bank it for later, just donate it to a child in need.
it does not cost money to donate cord blood. however, most donations are just thrown away by the public cord blood banks because they haven't been processed and stored correctly, or because they don't contain enough stem cells to be useful. in addition, if you should ever need to use stem cells from a public cord blood bank, you would have to pay all of the costs associated with retrieving the blood and whatever treatment is done. most private cord blood banking companies will pay for your use of the stem cells. this page has a bunch of useful information about the differences between public and private banks http://cordadvantage.com/about-americord
Cord Blood Community
61 Members
1.53k Questions
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.