Cord Blood Community
67 Members

What is cord blood?

I am completely new to this, but we are going to be expecting a child soon and I want to find out more about cord blood before our little one is born.  Do I have to use a cord blood bank to store it?  What benefits does saving cord blood have?

HI,
Cord blood is blood collected from the umbilical cord of the baby at the time of birth. This blood is then stored in the cord blood banking facility and can be made available if needed in future.  Cord blood is a rich source of Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs). Umbilical Cord Blood Banking has several advantages, which include solutions for various serious diseases which may occur in future life of the person.
Hope this helps.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.