Coronavirus Community
75 Members

COVID-19

Anyone have Covid-19 here? What were some symptoms?
I found a great resource I'll share with you.  https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-identifying-the-symptoms.pdf  It's a PDF that shows each type of illness, covid 19, flu and cold and what types of symptoms each have.  

I have been slightly unwell but I am sneezing and have a runny nose which makes it most likely a common cold.  Upper respiratory in nature. Corona is lower respiratory and patiens seem to almost always have a dry cough and fever and sometimes develop shortness of breath.   Check out the chart and tell me what you think.

Are you not feeling well currently, Tom?
Was that just a cold, specialmom? Were you okay? I hope you didn't come down with the virus. I have only just seen this thread 2 days ago. Take care and my best wishes.
Those are definitely not the symptoms most covid sufferers have, Mom.  Those are the ones that those with the bad cases have.  40% of those with it are completely asymptomatic, though weeks later they might suddenly get some problems as the immune system goes nuts.  Of the rest, most have very mild cases that might include a sore throat or some nausea or just a loss of taste and smell.  I was very close to trying to get a test a little over a month ago when I got a strange feeling in my head and a mild sore throat.  Definitely covid symptoms.  But tests aren't easy to get and getting one isn't all that safe, because to get one you have to go where those who have it also go.  So I went on the CDC website and found as step by step guide that led me through what I was feeling.  It ended up a bit amusing, saying, we're sorry you're not feeling well, we hope you feel better soon.  But it still bothers me some to think that if we want everyone to get a test and in most places we're discouraged from getting one, it seems a contradiction.  But I've also heard from some experts that testing isn't the be-all and end-all, that social distancing and isolation of those with symptoms and contact tracing is more important.  Who knows?  Anyway, I didn't get a test and it went away, and not I think what it might have been and what you might have are spring allergies, depending on where you live.  Here they are very bad, and a lot of people are sneezing and have runny noses and stuffed heads all the time but it happens every spring and fall here.  What can you do?
Tom13345, I am sure no one here or you have been infected with the virus. Don't worry much, stay hydrated, eat foods that boosts immune system and get some exercise at home in the morning. We are all going to be okay. Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future. :)
mike_no, " Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future".  I like it.  Thank you for the reminder.  MOST people, even if they have the virus DO recover.  
I’ve known a few people who were completely asymptomatic. They were only tested because family members they lived with were positive. Others have said sore throat, cough, fever, malaise, etc. I’ve heard and read individuals having a complete array of symptoms, differing from each individual person. It seems it mimics the common flu.
....his experience of Covid-19 featured a new and disturbing symptom every day, akin to an “advent calendar”.  https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Coronavirus/Article-about-long-tail-form-of-Covid/show/3055598
I had the virus early April. For about two weeks I had GI disturbance (unusual for me) which I couldn't figure out.
Then on 2 April I suddenly went very cold. I took my temperature and it was barely above 35C (cold!)
Then it started to go up, hovered around 37.5 -37.8 then  went up more.

I felt like I was having some kind of asthma attack; kept trying to cough it out. Heart rate speeded up. I had no appetite. I drank hot herbal teas and took some medicinal herbs. The cough got a bit worse, and I used steam inhalations to loosen my chest.
I got heart palpitations, and some breathlessness.

I had no "cold-type" symptoms at all, and never lost my sense of smell or taste.

I called the medical helpline and they gave me a questionnaire to reply to. I was not bad enough to be hospitalised, but they tol me to keep in touch if I worsened and an ambulance would be sent.

I kept steady coping with the symptoms myself and was better off at home I thought.
I kept drinking lots of hot teas and taking the herbs.
After 4 days the fever broke and I felt much better.  Appetite came back.

I had some out of breath feelings for about 2 weeks but not so bad, and they gradually went away. Also more tiredness, and needed a lot of rest. I would lie and listen to music.

I still feel some very slight gut disturbance like a feeling of trapped wind sometimes, but apart from that everything is much back to normal.

I hope for anyone who catches this, you will have a  mild-ish version  as I think I had. It was do-able and not too scary to endure.
Wishing you all the very best.
Just a question -- you don't mention getting tested either for the virus or for antibodies to the virus.  Have you been tested repeatedly to avoid the false negatives and false positives so you know for certain that's what you had?  I'm just curious as to how that part of it went down, as it appears we're all possibly headed for being tested.  I'm really glad you are better.
At the time they were only testing hospital admissions with acute respiratory symptoms., also there were no automatic tests for over 65's early April (as there are now.)
So the only way I was sure it was coronavirus is from the questions I was asked by the medical person  on  the phone, and my answers to them which apparently fitted the profile completely according to them.
Also it was the strangest thing I'd ever had, unlike any flu and nothing at all like a cold. Quite dramatic. And there were no other possible causes for such a sudden illness in my medical history.
I am waiting for the antibody test to  become more widely available here. It has 100% reliability apparently, so I prefer to wait for that. It's already available to selected medical response workers but not to the general public yet.
No, it's not 100% accurate.  Not test is.  Make sure you get only the FDA approved tests that are out there.  In the Administration's rush when they got desperate the FDA allowed anyone on an emergency basis to make an antibody test.  Most of them are horribly inaccurate, so they stopped that authorization but those tests already allowed are presumably still out there.  The same problem exists for different reasons with the test for the disease.  Only 3 tests are at 95% accuracy.  The one the White House uses, for example, is quite quick but may be up to 40-50% false negatives and the rest are at least 15% false negatives.  The problem with the antibody tests are false positives.  So when you do seek the test, make sure you ask the doc if they know which are the 3 good tests and if those are the ones that doc is using.  Again, it's just fantastic you are okay.  Stay that way!
Oh Ginger, I'm glad you are better!

You sound a lot like some good friends of mine, who had it in early April. I don't think you are in the US, but they are, and ran into similar issues with testing. Their doctors were convinced they had it, and they are going to take the antibody tests (they may have already - I haven't heard).

I'm glad you're feeling better!
Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.