Coronavirus Community
167 Members

COVID and blood type

Hi all. This is just a general question. I keep seeing that there have been studies that people with Type O blood, may be protected against COVID, or have a lesser chance of contracting it. And if they do get it, it may be a less severe case. I also saw that RH negative blood, especially O negative, is showing potentially even more protection against COVID.
Does anyone else know anything about this? Or have an opinion?
I have O positive blood, and it just peaked my interest.
It does seem that researchers are finding slight differences based on blood type.  There have been a few studies done now, with decent sample sizes, so it's probably not just a fluke.
Here's one of the studies: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4511, which has a reference to an earlier study at the end.  However, I've seen a few comments (including one on that study) that, since they are population-based studies (Canada and Denmark, respectively), that differences may be more related to those specific populations than to blood type in general.  It's probably difficult to say anything definitive at this point, with only a few studies.

I found this quick summary of what the studies say if, like me, you don't want to wade through the entire scientific publications: https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/blood-type-coronavirus.html
I'm not sure even if it's true that it has any practical impact on you, however.  Type O is the most common blood type, and it's impossible that with the vast number of cases out there that a ton of them aren't Type O, so even if it's less that what would have been expected compared to other blood types, it doesn't mean you are freer to move about the room, so to speak.  You would probably still need to take all the same precautions and react exactly the same because you aren't a generalization, you're only you.  
Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.