Do feet need to be washed/sanitized the way hands do?

Ok, so I've been dealing with an ongoing argument here at home, When stepping outside (sandals or shoes) and then coming back indoors, do feet need to be washed/sanitized the way hands do? Is there any evidence the virus survives in open areas like an apartment building?
The research is showing more clearly all the time that
Covid-19 is a respiratory virus, in other words, transmitted via particles in the air (breathing it in or possibly rubbing it into your respiratory tract via your eye or nose). Maybe somewhere with a known big load of the virus like an ICU might use clean-room techniques that might include walking through a shallow bath to sanitize the bottom of the shoes, but this kind of thing (and foot washing) have not been a recommended home practice. A lot of people do take off their outdoor footwear when they come home to keep the house cleaner in general, but this generally wouldn't be to prevent Covid.
If you're wearing shoes, what is there to sanitize even if it were possible to get the virus that way, which it doesn't appear to be?  If you were walking around in bare feet, it would make more sense, as there's all kinds of stuff you can walk around in, including animal feces etc., but if you're wearing shoes, your skin isn't actually touching anything but your shoe or your socks.  But the above is correct, it really doesn't pass by touching stuff, though we wash our hands because of extra caution and because our hands might get very close to our nose and mouth.  Not so much with feet.
If the topic of foot hygiene has reached a level that it is actually causing a running argument in your house, I might also add that though the Covid argument doesn't hold water, it isn't unreasonable for one partner to expect the other to have clean feet. The Covid virus won't be tracked in or have fallen on the feet, that's not supported by science. But if someone is tired of looking at someone else's ragged toenails, dirty soles and raspy calluses, well, actually there's nothing unfair about asking a loved one to take care of their craggy feet. Feet should be as well groomed as hands.
Well la dee dah.  Glad my wife doesn't agree.  I have a toenail fungus from playing a lot of basketball when I was young, and there ain't nothing that's worth the pain of what they do to fix that just to make my toenails look good.  They don't hurt, and I loved playing basketball, so again, if craggy feet is enough to drive you away the person you were with wasn't all that for you in the first place.  Just sayin'.
On the other hand, I do take 3 showers a day thanks to the permanent side effects of having taken antidepressants for a long time, so I'm the cleanest guy you'll ever know!
I was saying that the argument should stay with what is bothering the person picking the fight. Maybe it is genuine Covid paranoia talking (but why only the feet? Why not insist they take off their clothes in the entry hall and put them in a plastic bag and immediately take a shower?) In which case, the couple should discuss Covid paranoia and what is true and what is false. Or, if the Covid was merely a pretext because nothing else has worked to get someone to wash their tootsies regularly, the couple should talk about that, at least to the point where they come to an understanding (that the one will or won't wash their feet) and can stop arguing.

If that were really the case it would make sense to throw your clothes in the washer and take a shower after every outside excursion
Answering both you and Annie, doctors and nurses who work with covid patients do take their clothes off and wash them and take a shower before getting near their families.  I don't think that turned out to be necessary, as getting covid from surfaces isn't much of a risk, but again, that is exactly what docs and nurses are doing.  But for the rest of us, there's a point where fear of covid is worse than getting covid.  I do believe, and I believe a lot of different cultures practice this, that feet should be regularly cleaned, especially if one goes barefoot a lot as I did growing up.  But we still have to say to the poster, you weren't exposing your feet because you were wearing shoes, and you weren't anywhere near covid as far as you know and covid doesn't spread that way.  But I did want to say that those who did deal closest with covid patients did do what you're mentioning as a precaution.

You are reading content posted in the Coronavirus Community

Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.