Coronavirus Community
87 Members

I'm going nuts because of coronavirus. Help me

I don't know if this is the right place place to post my question. I have a 6 weeks old newborn. And I'm really worried about him catching the virus. I barely go out until I really have to. And I talk all the precautions. I can't breastfeed him as I'm not producing milk and my nipples are cracked. I heard breastmilk is really neat for the child. And this virus is making me go nuts and making me think beyond. I am losing my mind so I was wondering do babies have high chance of getting the virus if they are not breastfed.
I know u sound dumb but coronavirus is giving me some weird thoughts
I know it's scary, and I can't imagine having a newborn right now.

Babies can't get it if they aren't exposed. You are doing everything in your power to make sure that doesn't happen.

This virus is way too new for us to know anything about whether being breastfed helps. One key thing about breastfeeding is that it gives babies your immunities. You don't have immunities to this, so there might not be anything that would help your baby.

I know everything you see and hear is that breast milk is best. Your milk didn't come in. Sometimes it just doesn't. Think of all the adopted babies who don't get breast fed and are just fine (I'm one of them).

Just take the precautions against covid, which you are, and that's all you can do.

Being a new mom is HARD. If you think your anxiety is an issue, talk to your doctor. Post-partum anxiety is real, and you had a baby in a really crazy time. Hugs to you.
I would only ask, do you know why you're not producing milk?  Sometimes there are reasons that can be addressed, sometimes not.  The important thing about breast feeding is that it provides the initial immune system, something called colostrum among others, that can't be gotten from formula.  So yes, it is important for the immune system.  I'm 67 now and when I grew up almost nobody breast fed in developed countries as Nestles convinced doctors formula was better for them.  It was a lie.  But not breastfeeding is usually more of an annoyance than life or death.  It can mean more chance of things like allergies and the like, but I mean, I am 67, I'm not dead.  Almost everyone I ever knew is also still alive.  There is no reason to beat yourself up over it, but there is good reason to make sure it's not something that can be fixed.  Women used to take some simple herbs that helped, though we don't do that much anymore.  I believe fennel is one of them.  So talk to your docs and see if it's related to nutrition or worry or something like that.  Women also used to use what were called wet nurses when they couldn't breastfeed, which is basically using the milk of another woman.  I believe this still exists in many communities.  There is an organization called, I think, Le Leche League or something like that to help with issues of pregnancy and breastfeeding.  And if you can't, you can't.  Now, the good news about covid is, babies don't seem to get it much.  Nobody knows why, but it just hasn't been an issue with newborns.  Maybe future info will change that, but I believe that's been the case so far.  Relax and enjoy your new baby, and congratulations.
Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.