Coronavirus Community
167 Members

New Coronavirus Forum Policy - Effective Immediately

MedHelp is committed to hosting evidence-based information about COVID-19.  Toward this end, we require that all posts that include statements of scientific or medical fact be substantiated by a link to a credible source.

Statements of fact include:
- Statistics related to transmission, infection, and death rates;
- Information about testing,  prevention, treatments or cures;
- Any other claim presented as factual, for which evidence for/against is readily available.

Expressions of opinion (e.g., "I am more afraid of being infected on a bus than in an airplane) do not require substantiation.

Failure to provide a credible source, when asked, may result in removal of your post(s), warning(s) against your account, and/or temporary or permanent deactivation of your account.

If you have questions about this policy, please feel free to message a member of the moderation team, and we'll be happy to help.  We care about the safety and well-being of all of our members, and factual information is key to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
I listen to a lot of public radio and TV news where I hear every day many interviews with noted epidemiologists and doctors treating this virus.  I consider this authoritative, but obviously can't be cited as you suggest.  Does this count?  I mean, if we hear an interview with Dr. Fauci, who mostly communicates with us this way, not in articles, are we not allowed to repeat what we've heard from him?
Yes, that's fine, as long as you name the sources.  "Some doctors say..." "= not credible.  "This specific doctor says" = credible.  That way, people can check out the expert's credentials for themselves and decide whether the information was stated by someone who has the expertise to make such statements.  Does that make sense?
I can try.  I see so many and I really don't pay attention to their names, but the same specialists have been appearing every day several times a day on all major news channels other than Fox of course and they also appear every day several times a day on American, Canadian and BBC public radio and all major newspapers, all of which I do listen to or read at times every day.  I obviously can't name the docs or their credentials, but they head University depts., they make vaccines, they are epidemiologists, and they are emergency room docs.  I appreciate what you're doing, I pretty much asked for it to be done, but anyone can see and listen to these folks on NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NPR, BBC, public television, The Washington Post, The New York Times, etc.  But I doubt anyone could actually remember their names and credentials.  I swear, this has gone on so long I would recognize them if I met them they have been on so often, but again, couldn't tell you their names and credentials anymore than I can tell you where Fauci went to school or what he does every day.  Good enough?
To clarify - we're not trying to prevent discussion, or reasonable disagreements.  We're seeking to deter outrageous claims that contradict evidence-based information.  As with any novel disease, the scientific consensus can, and will, change from time-to-time.  If there's something new, simply cite the source from which this information has been learned.

What we won't allow are false, completely unsubstantiated claims such as those we've all seen on social media, like "99.6% survival rate," and "masks don't prevent the spread," which are revealed as inaccurate when listening to experts, looking at credible data publication sites, and reading studies.
I agree. Also, people's opinions are not fact. I think you know i am a licensed microbiologist,  I don't always have a reference,  but I use credible sources and references.  Sometimes I just know from my education.  I can't site that....
mkh9
Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.