Avatar universal

Should I consult allergist before I get vaccinated?

I am going to get vaccinated with Pfizer in a week.

Do I need to consult with allergist before I get a shot?

about 9 years ago, I got Measles vaccine and had a very strong reaction - High temperature, rash etc..

I've not had any serious allergies after that.
Can I just go ahead and get vaccinated or should I consult doctor first.
As far as I know, I'm not allergic. I sometimes have a small rash in summer when I sweat but it goes away in couple of hours.
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
207091 tn?1337709493
If you get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, it's a totally different kind of vaccine than the measles vaccine, but if you are concerned, absolutely check with your doctor.

Helpful - 0
I wouldn't suggest an allergist, probably.  These vaccines haven't been around very long, so there probably hasn't been enough time to know all there is to know, and unlike other vaccine situations, in this case we got a lot of different vaccines at the same time made in different ways with different ingredients by different private companies.  I don't think there's any way to ever predict who is going to get a bad reaction to a drug or vaccine, no matter who you consult, and so you would most likely either be counseled that the risk is worth it or it isn't worth it.  Also, reactions to vaccines or drugs aren't necessarily an allergic reaction.  The most common allergic reaction is anaphylactic shock, and those giving the vaccine are supposed to know how to deal with that.  What often happens is our immune system has a severe reaction to the drug or vaccine and tries to fight against it.  Nobody can really predict that unless you have a known compromised immune system.  Another problem is that a lot of the allergic reactions are probably to additives used in the drugs or vaccines, as they always use additives that we shouldn't be putting in our bodies.  So it's not necessarily the drug or vaccine so much as the preservatives and artificial coloring agents etc. that give people the problem.  Given all that and that the reaction you're describing sounds uncomfortable but not terrible, and given the known risks of getting covid, if it were me, I'd take the flyer and get the vaccine.  Couldn't hurt to check with someone who might know, but I doubt your doctor is that person.  It would more likely be someone with expertise in vaccines, which would be an immunoligist, virologist, or vaccinologist, and I doubt you'd find one to talk to but it wouldn't hurt you any to talk to a doc.  Peace.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and get vaccinated
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Coronavirus Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn more with our FAQ on Ebola.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.