Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

3 weeks post abdominoplasty

My doctor has been perfect with post op exams & answers but I feel that I shouldn't be calling with every little concern. I am happy to have found this forum & have had many questions aswered by reading these posts. I explained my (I think) extremely sensitive skin as feeling "scraped" & the doctor said that description was a new one to him. Of coarse there is a numbness, that is tolerable, but this raw skin feeling is driving me crazy. I even cut up a soft t shirt & placed it under my binder but it seems anything that comes in contact with my skin irritates it. Is this normal & is there anything to do about it & how long will it last? Also, after my drains were removed I seem to have fluid retension. Yesterday the doctor tried to extract it with a syringe to no avail. Today the puffiness seems to be more & also some fluid in my upper abdominal area also. It is not extreme but I need to know if it will disipate by itself or does it need to be removed. Will the fluid cause my recovery to be slower?  I am going on a cruise in 7 weeks (10 weeks post op) I need to be in shape by then. need I be concerned now that I am retaining this fluid that I won't be healed enough?
Hypersensitivity is telated to healing and regrowth of nerve connections.  It is normal and will dissipate with time.  You probably have a small seroma with fluid build up beneath the skin flap.  ven if this cannot be tapped with a needle, it will eventually disappear (usually in a week or so).  Your cruise will not be affected by your surgery.
Thank you for your speedy reply. You have put my mind at ease.
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.