Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Fat Necrosis

I have significant fat necrosis in my left breast following bilateral DIEP surgery on August 31, 2007.  Is is likely that the necrotic tissue will soften and feel like the unaffected tissue, or will is always be harder?  If it stays hard, will it will affect the symetry and the natural aging process, and not age normally like the other breast?

Thank you in advance for your time.
1 Responses
242582 tn?1193616720
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Typically, fat necrosis stays firm and hard due to extensive scarring that occurs within and around the affected area.  While it is unlikely to lead to deformity, particularly if you do not see a shape problem now, the palpable firmness will always be present, in my experience.
Popular Resources
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child