Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

Internal Fat necrosis

I had my breast reduction on 23 October 08, 6 weeks ago (600 gram removed from each breast) and apart from wound breakdowns under both breasts, which are being treated with debridement and wet to dry wound packing 3 times per week by the nurse at PS surgery.  I thought I was doing O.K. until the PS told me last week that I have fat necrosis in both breasts, the right having a larger hard area just above the nipple, the left breast only has a small area above the nipple. PS says that nothing needs to be done and that the necrosis will first harden and then soften and be re-absorbed into the breast, this process will probably take 12 months or more.
Is this the correct advice, or should I be getting a second opinion? Will the necrosis spread to 'live' tissue or even damage the areola/nipple complex? Also can the necrosis become gangrenous?
Very anxious and hoping for a quick reply.
Your fat necrosis will not get worse, but I would not be optimistic that the hardness that you are currently feeling will resolve.  It is common for areas of fat necrosis to become somewhat smaller, but often that remain hard and nodular.  There is no need to do anything about these areas, unless that are bothersome to you.
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.