Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

My body rejected my breast implants...

I got breast implants that went bad.  I healed up beautifully until 5 weeks post surgery.  I had a blister under my right breast that continuously leaked clear plasma after it was lanced for a culture.    A week later my left breast developed the same phenomenon (I say that because my culture came back clean, no infection!)  For 6 more weeks I was walking around with a sports bra and pads under my breasts while they had to be squeezed and drained every hour so the pressure of the fluid didn't build up and the pain was lessened.   Every hour we would get 1 - 1 1/2 ounces of fluid out of each breast.  I also had 2 DR.'s appointments a week so he could tell me that the lab results hadn't changed and he did nothing wrong.  There was still no infection, nor was any other action taken or suggested, no tests were done.  I decided to have them removed after 7 weeks, as this was costing me a great deal of money, energy and pain.  I don't make a living if I don't go to work.  I healed up OK after the removal, after 2 mos of encapsulation in my left breast that had to be squeezed out like toothpaste.  The surgeon I had was also not real comforting, and seemed offended that I wanted them taken out!  This whole ordeal cost me $35,000 or better in costs and lost income.  Later, I found out that my aunt has a condition, her body will reject ANY foreign object, even if it came from one part of her body and got reinstalled into another part.  It is in her genes.  
    Despite this horrible experience, I am considering trying again.  Is there a test that can be done for this 1 in 1,000 chance that I am going to reject a new set 14 years later?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  Does anyone have any referrals for a Knoxville, TN plastic surgeon?  If you do, I WILL NOT skimp on a surgeon, I want the best in the area.  In that community, there is a real difference!  You really do get what you pay for.  Thank you and have a great day!
Velvet
A few comments.  It is a well recognized phenomenon, that some infections will have negative culture results.  This may be due to the type or organism growing out (there are some tuberculin type bacteria that are notoiously difficult to culture out) or the way that the cultures were obtained.

While it is certainly possible to undergo another augmentation procedure successfully, there is no guarantee that the same or similar outcome may occur.  Basically what I am saying is you need to fully explore your motivations for undergoing another procedure, before undertaking an adventure that may result in expenses, pain, and complications that are entirely avoidable if no further surgery is performed.  This advise is coming from a plastic surgeon with extensive experience and has perfomed surgery on patients who have refused to accept defeat until after repeated operations and problems.
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.