Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

Neck/jaw lump after face lift

I had a face lift almost two months ago.  About a week after my bandages came off I developed on the left side under my chin towards the top of my neck.  My surgeon at first said it was pooling blood and would eventually dissipate.  Later he said this was a salivary gland.  It had not been there before though he thought it may have been hidden under fat and loose skin.  

Several days after my bandages came off I had a sneezing fit due to allergies and felt as though something 'popped' at the time.  

Anyway, wondering what this lump is and what i should do.  Am concerned that it could be some kind of cancer.  My surgeon tells me not to worry and come back and see him in a few months, but if it could be something serious shouldn't I see someone sooner than that?  

And yes, I do have a history of smoking, hence my concern.
It would be extremely unlikely that the lump is related to some tumor, which would have been detected before your procedure or even at the time of your surgery.  It could be a small bleed (hematoma) in that area that will disappear with time.  It could also be a more visible salivary gland exposed by the surgery, as suggested by your surgeon.  Time will tell.
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.