Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

Unilateral vs. Bilateral Explantation

Hi Dr. Rosenberg,

One side of my breast had gone through mulitple surgeries in the last year due to complications and the result is not good.  From the last surgery, I am now having rippling even with silicone implant under the muscle; also, the top pocket seems to be closing down fast even my doctor had enlarged it superiorly during surgery.  If I was to take the implant out and leave it out for at least a year, do you recommend taking both implants out?  (the other side is fine and soft and can move freely)... I am struggling between decisions and would appreciate some insights in case I do need to remove at least one of the implants.  Also, will I still have rippling if I take it out for a year and let the body heal?  My skin is paper-thin without much breast tissues to start with... so my question is... will my tissues ever go back to its 'virgin' state or close to it such that that rippling or bottomed out would not be much of an issue like my other breast?  I just want to have the 'problematic' breast look and feel natural again... What are the pros and cons of unilateral vs bilatral explantation?

Thanks very much in advance.
When implants are removed, the breast usually returns to near its pre-operative state.  Can you live for the next six months to a year with one implant present and the other without?  In my experience, it is very likely that when the implant is replaced, even without complications, the re-operated breast will not look exactly like the one where the implant has not been touched.
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.