Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

breast infection after nipple reconstruction

I recently had nipple reconstruction using my own skin from the abdomen after a bilateral mastectomy.  I have silicone implants.  My left side took just fine but the skin never took on my right side.  It became infected and my surgeon cut the nipple out.  My breast is completely swollen and the skin is red, the area where the nipple was is kind of yellowish.  I have saline soaked gauze on the wound and silvadene cream on the outer skin.  I am on my second week of antibiotics with no improvement.  Will the implant need to be removed?  The swelling is very painful and the skin is sore. How long does this need to go on?
1 Responses
1563771 tn?1299820137
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is hard to give you an answer without a physical exam.  In these situations, sometimes oral antibiotics or IV antibiotics may treat the infection and salvage the implant.  At times, however, the implant may need to be removed in conjunction with antibiotics for proper treatment of this infection.
Popular Resources
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child